Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thursday notes

Couple notes this morning....

First, I found it quite interesting the way things played out at the Memorial Cup bid presentations yesterday. Apparently Brandon presented first, and when they were done, Kelowna and Everett decided not to present their bids and instead endorsed Brandon. Which means that saying that Brandon was approved "unanimously" is a little misleading since there wasn't really a choice for anyone to make, they were the ONLY team to submit a bid and so they got the tournament by default whether they were the best bid or not. (I'm sure they were - 100% sure - but it still would have been nice for the other two cities to bid as well, just to give some options)

Portland's sale was approved but the deal has not closed yet (the actual transfer of the money, etc, etc) and so the current Hawks staff will remain in place until that happens. New owner Bill Gallacher was not available for comment yesterday, which I thought a bit odd and not a good way to start things off....why wouldn't he schedule some time to do some interviews with Portland media, etc, and start getting the word out there that things are going to change (hopefully for the better!) in the Rose City? It's free publicity.

Overage cutdown draft goes today....Brandon Calgary, Lethbridge, and Tri-City need to get one off their rosters. Contrary to reports elsewhere, Calgary did NOT release Dan Spence earlier this week, and Spence's fate will be decided today like the rest of the overagers. He is obviously going to be the odd man out in Calgary.

In Lethbridge, G.M. Roy Stasiuk says that Adam Chorneyko will be the odd man out there and that a trade will be announced today. There are two teams competing for Chorneyko's services.

No word on what's going to happen in Brandon or Kennewick....I'm pretty sure one of the defencemen (Erb/McCue) is going to be out in Brandon but the Americans could go a few different ways.

One other note, Kamloops has lost forward Devon Kalinski, who has left the team after being unhappy with his ice time and role on the team. Kalinski was acquired by the Blazers from the Hitmen last winter for Brock Nixon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was surprised initially when only three teams planned on bidding, including Kelowna which just about everyone knew wouldn't win. But to see only one team bid on this is extremely shocking to me. And here I thought the Memorial Cup was a tournament teams wanted to host.

I can't think of any reason that there was so little interest in bidding for the 2010 Memorial Cup, but maybe someone out there knows something that I don't. I sure can't explain it.

Anonymous said...

Everett would have been a lame duck bid. Does the league really want Yuiell hosting the tournament after the debacle of a performance from when he hosted the tournament as owner of Seattle in 92? Additionally the Everett arena is not set up to provide live television of games. Creates a fiasco for the folks at Rogers in telecasting the tournament. On the other hand, Everett has a really young team of 16/17 year olds that could be pretty devastating in 2 or 3 years when they would be hosting.

Anonymous said...

I think you need to know that you will have a competitive team for that season...the west teams knew it was coming east.
Lethbridge didn't bid as they are renovating, Saskatoon is hosting the World Jr.s...Brandon is the right team to host !