With the season winding down, I thought I would take a look back at the way I predicted the divisions to finish when I did my season previews back in September. I already know some of my picks are going to look brutal....but just how far off was I?
Eastern division:
I picked it as:
1. Brandon (1st/2nd in the conference)
2. Regina (4th/5th)
3. Swift Current (5th/6th)
4. Saskatoon (8th to 10th)
5. Prince Albert (8th to 10th)
6. Moose Jaw (10th or 11th)
Ummmm....well.....do we really have to talk about this one?
I did get Prince Albert and Moose Jaw right (although Moose Jaw will be #12 and picking them for last could have been done by somebody who'd never even seen a WHL game), as well as putting Swift Current in the #3 spot (and 5th in the conference may end up being right for them too) but boy was I wrong on the other three teams. Saskatoon's prediction is the biggest stinker of all....I thought they would possibly miss the playoffs but in reality they are the class of the division and solidly in 2nd place in the conference.
Brandon isn't too far off......they're not the class of the division like I thought they would be but they're a pretty close 2nd to the Blades. Regina....well, they started the season pretty good but it has sure gone in the crapper for them in the 2nd half.
Central division:
I picked it as:
1. Lethbridge (1st/2nd in the conference)
2. Medicine Hat (3rd/4th)
3. Calgary (4th to 6th)
4. Kootenay (6th to 8th)
5. Red Deer (10th to 12th)
6. Edmonton (11th/12th)
Not too much better than the East here....I completely missed on Calgary being as dominant as they are, and I didn't see Lethbridge struggling either. So two big misses there although I guess the rest of the picks aren't too bad. Edmonton is better than I thought, right now it looks like they could be the 8th playoff team in the conference. Reasonably accurate on Medicine Hat, Kootenay, and Red Deer though. Hey, .500 is a good average.....in baseball.
B.C. division:
I picked it as:
1. Kelowna (1st or 2nd in conference)
2. Vancouver (3rd or 4th)
3. Kamloops (6th/7th)
4. Prince George (8th to 10th)
5. Chilliwack (9th/10th)
Hmmm......like with Calgary in the East, I completely failed to see the Giants' dominance in the Western conference. I had Kelowna running way out in front in the division with the Giants bringing up a solid 2nd place, whereas in reality it's the opposite.
Kamloops, Prince George, and Chilliwack look like they were good picks though. Kamloops might end up higher than 6th in the conference but I got their position in the division right.
U.S. division:
I picked it as:
1. Spokane (1st or 2nd in conference)
2. Tri-City (3rd or 4th)
3. Seattle (4th-6th)
4. Everett (7th-9th)
5. Portland (9th or 10th)
Well, of all the divisions this is probably the one I was closest on. It's bang-on except for the roles of Tri-City and Spokane being reversed, but Spokane will likely end up finishing pretty close to the Ams so I can salvage some pride there. Except for the part where I said Spokane would run away with the division, of course. Ummmm.....
Seattle, Everett, and Portland are pretty close to perfect picks though.
Overall....maybe a B- grade?
No comments:
Post a Comment