Friday, May 14, 2010

Message Sent

Well, that was Ugly. Capital-U ugly, if you're a Brandon or WHL fan. Windsor, considered by many/most to be the pre-tournament favourite to repeat as Memorial Cup champs, went out and whacked the Wheat Kings 9-3 in the opener of the tournament tonight.

The score would have been much worse if Windsor hadn't taken the third period off. They were dominant and the Wheat Kings looked powerless to do anything to stop the onslaught of Spitfire attackers. It probably didn't help that Brandon hadn't played a game in three weeks but I doubt even a game-ready Wheaties squad would have fared significantly better. Windsor was making a statement tonight....consider the message sent.

Next up, the Hitmen take on the Moncton Wildcats tomorrow afternoon. We saw tonight how strong Windsor is; tomorrow's game should give us a measuring stick to gauge the QMJHL entry by.

P.S. - am I the only one who thought it was pretty much impossible to read the numbers on the backs of those Brandon uniforms? They are nice looking jerseys but clearly there wasn't any testing done to see whether anyone could make out the numbers....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad someone else noticed the number problem too. I know I'm getting old, but my eyesight isn't that bad. Yellow numbers on a white backdrop just don't work. The front of the jersey's look mighty nice though, but if I was Brandon I'd refuse to wear them ever again.

Anonymous said...

First thing I thought of. Is there a white version or are they wearing them the whole tournament? And I'll bet Monday can't come soon enough... Windsor looked unbeatable last night. This one's a two-horse race.

JB

Anonymous said...

Someone clearly forgot to tell the Wheat Kings that the Memorial Cup has started!

Anonymous said...

Windsor made the Hitmen look pretty bad tonight. It didn't help with Jones giving up three softies...Looks like everyone else is playing for 2nd place.