Monday, February 28, 2011

Warriors clinched?

I see both the WHL and the Warriors are saying that Moose Jaw has clinched a playoff spot.

Now, we all know they're going to make the playoffs, but my math shows that they in fact have not clinched a spot at all. They have 73 points right now; if the 9th place team (Lethbridge) were to win all of their remaining games, they would also have 73 points, meaning the Warriors and Hurricanes would be tied for the 8th and final playoff spot in that case.

WHL rules require a 1-game playoff if that happens. If the Warriors lost that game, they would miss the playoffs. So I don't see how they can be declared to have clinched a spot. Or am I missing something here?

I know it's irrelevant since they will surely get one more point sometime this season and then it will be mathematical. Just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong in my calculations here....or what the league has done wrong.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Relax .... why are you posting that anyway? Moose Jaw has clinched, so dont get your panties in a bunch....

Spend more time doing math on the Blazers clinching a playoff spot

brian in sherwood

Alan said...

I'm posting it because my calculations show they HAVEN'T clinched. And if I'm calculating that wrong, then perhaps I'm doing something wrong with other numbers as well.

Make enough sense for you? Do you ever add anything positive to any blog or message board, or do you just like leaving snotty comments?

Anonymous said...

Alan,

If you read this article, also published by the league, they say MJ still needs another point to clinch which matches your numbers. So I'd say the error is on their side.

http://whl.ca/article/the-road-to-the-2011-whl-playoffs

Anonymous said...

Who cares .... The Warriors have clinched or just needed one point in their next 10 games. They are in, I dont see the BIG deal regarding the issues. There is more concerning topics around the WHL and the Hockey world than this particular topic. That is why I posted, and YES Alan, I add lots of positive news and information to blogs, but this topic was useless. thats all

Anonymous said...

you're useless. thats all