Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Seattle/Calgary trade

Overage (for 2012-13) goaltenders seem to be flying around the league right now. After the draft-day trades of Ty Rimmer (from Tri-City to Lethbridge) and Luke Siemens (from Moose Jaw to Prince Albert) last week, today saw a third one on the move, with Calgary sending Brandon Glover to Seattle for a 2013 3rd round bantam pick.

Calgary is expected to make 18 year old Chris Driedger their #1 goalie next year after he split the job with Glover this year. For Seattle, they need a goaltender to replace the departed Calvin Pickard and I guess they don't think last year's backup, Daniel Cotton, is going to be the guy.

The move also helps Calgary's overage situation for next year - they now have five probable candidates for three spots. For Seattle though, it further crowds theirs - they now have six probable candidates for their three spots.

2 comments:

M Jarred Shelton said...

I don't think anyone expects Sutter to be back. I think you have to keep a 20yo d-man so either Deagle or Laroque stay. So then it is down to Lund, Rouse or Lockhart. All those guys are valuable in their own way. Seems hard to think that you would cut your captain but I don't think Lockhart survives. Rouse gives you speed and skill, Lund gives you size and strength. On a team looking for goals, I think Rouse wins out.

Anonymous said...

M Jarred - I agree and disagree. Yes, this team needs offense but Rouse has scored less goals than Lockhart in each of the last three seasons. Rouse provides virtually nothing in the goals department while Lockhart scored over 20 two seasons ago. If he can return to that player it isn't even a close between the two of them. Same thing can be said compared to Lund. Larouque was a healthy scratch and Deagle was solid at times. Glover, Deagle, and Lockhart are my bets. - juva