A day late to this, but as most of you no doubt have already heard, the Regina Pats won yesterday's draft lottery and as a result will move up from 4th overall in the bantam draft up to 2nd overall. Prince George (who were previously #2) will drop to #3, and Brandon (previously #3) will drop to #4. All other teams remain the same, which means the full order for the 2013 first round looks like this:
1. Vancouver
2. Regina
3. Prince George
4. Brandon
5. Moose Jaw
6. Lethbridge
7. Everett
8. Seattle
9. Kootenay
10. Medicine Hat
11. Victoria
12. Swift Current
13. Prince Albert
14. Red Deer
15. Tri-City
16. Spokane
17. Brandon (from Saskatoon for Michael Ferland)
18. Calgary
19. Kamloops
20. Vancouver (from Edmonton in Musil/Geertsen trade)
21. Kelowna
22. Seattle (from Portland for Marcel Noebels)
10 comments:
I would think that the top 5 picks will include Tyler Benson, Kale Clague, David Quenneville, Sam Steel, Brett Howden??? I have read this on a couple of sites. Aucoin I heard could be a pick that is in the top 10 as well? Does anyone know much about these players or where any of them are from?
All of those but Howden are from the Alberta Major Bantam Hockey League:
Benson - Edmonton SSAC AAA bantam
Clague - Lloydminster AAA bantam
Quenneville - Edmonton SSAC AAA bantam
Steel - Sherwood Park AAA bantam
Aucoin - Calgary Northstars AAA bantam
You can find stats on them at the league's website, http://www.ambhl.ab.ca
Brett Howden played AAA midget this year in the Manitoba AAA midget league, for the Eastman Selects. You can see his stats on their site here: http://www.mbaaamidget.ca
One other name I can throw out there is Nolan Patrick of the Winnipeg AAA bantam Hawks. 75 points in 19 games is pretty unreal for a good league like that. http://www.winnipegaaa.com
I believe that the 1st overall player is Benson... from there the 2nd overall is anything but settled. My understanding is that some teams may want to trade down for extra picks in a deep draft.
Rumblings are the Warriors have dangled the pick at 5th overall for teams willing to deal a later 1st round pick and 2nd with a later pick or a pick in the following years draft.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a move like that from Brandon, MJ or even PG. Looking for more depth as opposed to that op elite athlete. I think it was MJ who traded up to get Quinton Howden giving away Brad Ross and Joe Morrow for that pick. Respectively. Something along those lines. Not 100% sure but close to that.
What about Thiessen with 50 goals and 74 pts in that league??? Where does a player like that fit in?
Jaeger White will be a Top 5 pick consideration as well.
Yes, I wasn't trying to give a comprehensive list. I only threw out Patrick's name because I was on the topic of Manitoba prospects there.
The names mentioned above don't include any B.C. or Saskatchewan players and I know there are several players in B.C. (such as White) who are going to get top-10, top-5 consideration as well.
It's a pretty good crop this year especially at the top from all appearances. Benson and Clague may get all the hype but the teams picking #3 - #10 are going to get some pretty darn good players too, and probably even well beyond #10.
Clague and Benson are franchise type players that a team will build around. Benson smashing Rattie's record and Clague smashing Phanouf's record. These two are the best of the best. Vancouver will get one and Regina will get one. I am betting PG wants one of them after falling down a spot. I hear Regina might entertain moving down a spot if a deal including Forsberg could be done. It wouldn't surprise me to see Clague go #1. Good teams build from the goal on out. Dynamic big high scoring d-men are very hard to find. In many minds he is the best in the draft.
jagger White will be lucky to be a top 20 pick,Clague not a big d-man anymore at 5'10
My bet is that Brandon moves from 4 to #2 to pick up Nolan Patrick.
If no trades i think
Benson
Steel
Patrick
Clague
Fabbro
Lots of top end names floating around this year. Will be interesting to watch the draft and draft day trades that will take place.
Benson and Clague have been touted high all season and will go top 5 I am sure. Steel Patrick Quenneville White Aucoin should all be first rounders.
Post a Comment