Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Cup wrap-up

Just dumping a collection of mental Post-It notes to the blog here after a week spent watching the Memorial Cup....

  • the best team won. The (narrowly) second-best team finished 2nd. The third-best team finished 3rd, and the 4th-best team finished 4th. That doesn't happen every time, but it did this year. I don't think there was a lot separating Halifax from Portland but the Mooseheads won both their meetings at the tournament and outscored Portland 13-8. It is difficult to make any case but that Halifax was the better team.
  • that Final game was one of the best hockey games I've seen this year. Portland seemed a little unprepared in the first period (nerves?) and it cost them; in the 2nd and 3rd periods the game was quite even and I would say Portland was actually the better team for large portions of those two periods. But the first period killed them, being down 3-0 after 20 minutes (and still down 3-0 halfway through the second period) made a comeback very difficult against a top team like the Mooseheads. At 5-2 I was sure it was over but Portland hung in there and made a white-knuckle finish out of it, making it 5-4 with over a minute left to play yet.
  • the much-hyped Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin "battle of the top three prospects" certainly lived up to its billing. In the two head-to-head games between the three, Jones had two goals (though he was also a -1) while MacKinnon had NINE points (6 goals, 3 assists) and Drouin had six points (1g, 5a) in the two games. MacKinnon and Drouin were unstoppable in the Final and are pretty much the main reason that the Memorial Cup is on the East coast today and not the West one. So as far as the head-to-head thing goes, MacKinnon won, hands-down. He played his best hockey of the year on the biggest stage against the toughest competition. 
  • that said, does it matter? Will it change anything? The Colorado Avalanche's opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to determining which of Jones or MacKinnon (or Drouin!) goes #1 overall in the NHL draft. I think when you look at Colorado's roster there are several good young forwards there already (Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, etc), including a couple who are centermen. Then you look at their defence and it's terrible - probably the reason they were dead last in the West. They need defencemen badly, and a franchise defenceman like Jones is, IMO anyway, too good for them to pass up given their organizational needs. There's also the P.R. aspect, they can sell Jones as a "native son" since he partially grew up in Denver and took up hockey there. That is a minor thing in the overall picture, but it's there and it becomes a bigger factor if you have two players you consider equal in all the on-ice measurables. So in my view, no matter how good MacKinnon played yesterday, Jones will still go #1 as long as it's Colorado doing the picking. 
  • it is safe to say that after watching Jones, MacKinnon, and Drouin, this year was a very, very good year to be one of the three worst teams in the NHL. Even at #3, Tampa Bay will get the one that the other two teams didn't want - and they'll still get a guy who could be the best player when the careers are all said and done. 
  • I'm a little surprised by the level of dislike/hate for Portland there seems to be among WHL fans. I always, always root for the WHL champion at the Memorial Cup, even when it's one of my team's hated rivals (in recent years - Edmonton, Kootenay, Medicine Hat!) but I do understand when people can't bring themselves to cheer for a "hated rival". No judgement here. What surprises me though is the number of people who want them to fail because of the sanctions/cheating/whatever you want to call it situation. The way I see it, the people who deserve the scorn there are only the ones involved in the misdoings - namely, Mike Johnston and anyone else who was involved in what they did....and there is no evidence presented (publicly anyway) that anyone other than Johnston was involved. Johnston and the organization were severely punished for what they did. I don't see the logic in hoping the innocent parties in all this - the players - fail. Just me I guess....like I said, no judgement on people who see it differently, I just don't understand the thinking is all.
  • the early favorite for the 2014 Memorial Cup, I think, has to be the host London Knights. London won the OHL title this year and they did that with only 2 overagers and only 4 19 year olds. In other words, they may lose very few players off this championship team heading into next year - and their great group of 2013 draft prospects - Domi, Horvat, Zadorov, Elie, Mermis - will be a year older and better. They should contend for the OHL title again next year and even if they don't win it, they'll still be a very, very good host team at the Memorial Cup itself.
  • and with that we arrive at the Saskatoon Blades, this year's host. Without trying to piss off Saskatoon fans, I think the Blades' season cannot be called anything but a huge disappointment. I think that 18 game winning streak in February covered up a lot of flaws on this team by moving them up the standings - but their average opponent in those 18 wins was a .459 team and 10 of those 18 were against teams that missed the playoffs. Only three were against teams that had home ice in the first round of the playoffs. That stretch was misleading, padded numbers against mostly weak competition. I think this was a team with a lot of good individual talent that never really meshed together and were carried a lot by a very strong goaltender. Without Makarov and the winning streak (which, incidentally, he played every game of), I think this is a non-playoff team. They did play reasonably well at the Memorial Cup, they didn't get blown out until the tiebreaker loss, and they were the only team at the tournament to beat Halifax. But they also had the benefit of 7 weeks of rest heading into the Memorial Cup too. It was fresh legs against tired ones in those games, that has to count for something. 
  • Saskatoon has paid a big price to try to contend this year and in 2011 (when they traded for Brayden Schenn). They have not had a first round WHL bantam draft pick since 2009 (for accuracy, they did have a 1st rounder in 2010, but they traded the player 8 months later in the Schenn deal) and won't have one again until 2016. To show for that they have a 2nd round exit (via sweep) in 2011 and a 1st round sweep in both 2012 and this year, with a 1-3 Memorial Cup. So, they are 1-15 in their last 16 post-season games. I would be very surprised if Lorne Molleken retains his job - either via quitting or being dismissed - in Saskatoon after those kind of results. It may not be entirely his fault but he is the general here, he made the decisions and paid the very high prices for players that he paid. So the buck stops at his desk. I'm sure he knew and accepted that risk when he made the deals too.
  • Last thought: will people be tempted to pay those kind of prices again? (Of course they will!)

9 comments:

PNWHockey said...

Question for you Alan: What Sports Organization does not "publish" the rules for all to see and understand? What does the WHL have to hide? There were NEVER any Player Violations as admitted by the WHL and Media Outlets.

Being that it was admitted in the Press "that all teams do what the Winterhawks did ... namely provide plane tickets for player's parents who are not financially able to afford the or Cell phone for the team captain. The former being a very "charitable" offering for parents that let their kids spend up to five-years in Portland away from their families (up to nine months out of the year).

Let's talk about other teams actually giving what is know as Player Incentives ... Armani Suits and IPads to each members of the team. Don't you think this is a mixed message? And, what Rules and/or Regulations (Mr. Robison) ... If they are not available to the public ... then they don't exist!

Do you really think that ANY TEAM in the CHL, yet alone the WHL can survive a Forensic Audit unscathed?

Respectfully

Alan said...

The WHL is a private business, they do not have any obligation to reveal all their internal rules and regulations to the public. Is it good P.R., yes, it would be.....but they don't have to. As long as all the people who NEED to know these rules know them, that's the league's prerogative to disclose or not disclose whatever they want.

So when you say "If they are not available to the public ... then they don't exist", you're quite wrong there. If you go to a McDonalds and demand a copy of their operating standards, they aren't going to give you, a customer, that information. But that doesn't mean the operating standards don't exist and that the franchisee isn't aware of them. By the same token, the WHL does not owe us, the customers, access to every aspect of their business.

It is frustrating as a fan to not know all the details, I agree. And it would be very, very good P.R. for the league to end the veil of secrecy. I wish they would. But they don't have to and their refusal to do that doesn't mean those rules don't exist.

Since players are sometimes given other gifts, as you mentioned, and the teams giving those gifts are not sanctioned, I can only assume that those particular kinds of things are permitted.

The difference between you and I is that you choose to see that as evidence that the Winterhawks are victims of a special conspiracy against them, whereas I choose to believe the league is acting fairly and ethically and enforcing rules which I simply don't know the details of.

PNWHockey said...

Alan, you know to "assume" anything is looking for trouble.

Do you really think that other teams, who certainly cannot afford the monetary sanctions could survive? Do you really think that all those other teams who have (or still do) provide plane tickets and cell phones to their captains. Would be "fairly and equitably" handed the same sanctions and fines. Even Mr. Robison said that "we would work with the team." What does that mean???

Oh, well, this is now a matter for Bill Galacher to remedy ... hopefully in Calgary, hopefully in a "Court of Equity."

There is no dispute as to the "infractions" here; the dispute is "fair and equitable" treatment for ALL TEAMS.

Thank you ... I do enjoy your blog tremendously and encourage others to read too.

Best regards and thank you for your comments; we are not necessarily on "opposite pages." (lol)

Alan said...

If other teams committed the same infractions, I would hope the punishment would be similar. Since you're quite correct in saying that a massive fine could ruin one of the tiny-market teams, nobody wants to see that happen so I would hope the league could come up with something where the punishment is still on par with Portland's but doesn't financially ruin the team. Spread the fine out over several years, or a lower fine with increased punishment in other areas (suspensions, draft picks, etc).

There is no reason to believe that the league would NOT be fair and equitable in its dealings with other offenders....we just don't have any to point to because there haven't been any.

As for a lawsuit....I will be very surprised if it happens.

TigerTurf said...

It was more that all these things were under the table and not reported in their financial statements to the league, and they knowingly left these things out.

I imagine that all teams have some kind of recruitment budget, and regulations on incentives and recruitment strategies, because they are competing for the best talent in the world with other leagues.

The Regulations and rules of owning a WHL club would be interesting to see. But I doubt that would happen because its opening up internal company business secrets of a private company.

Unknown said...

Teams providing suits for their players is going to be allowed because it is what is best for the image of the league, they want their players well dressed off the ice.

The ipads are probably good for the players education, they can use them for schoolwork and film review. I would argue the ipads are a necessary tool for today's hockey player.

aeris said...

I have zero respect for the Portland Winterhawks organization and that was why I didn't root for them.

First, the absolute arrogance of the organization itself, its players, and its fanbase over the last few years just pisses me off. Yes, their team has been very good over that time (and now we know why), but that attitude from all 3 parties does give other fans reason to, um, strongly dislike them. They seem to have forgotten that they haven't always been this good and were in the basement not too long ago. But in a few years from now they'll be brought back down to earth and hopefully they'll all learn to be humble.

That arrogance had already pissed me off, then to find out the speculation was true - the organization had cheated to put together the team it has had the past few years... Well. Yes, as far as we know it's all on Johnston so it's not fair to take it out on the players. For me though, it wasn't about the Portland players not winning the Memorial Cup. It was about the organization itself not winning it. Until all of the players they obtained unfairly are gone, they don't deserve to win the Memorial Cup, imo.

Alan said...

aeris - I can't speak to any arrogance from the organization or players. I'm not that close to either.

For the fans though, I would never want to tar everyone with the same brush. I've had the pleasure of meeting many Portland fans over the years, some of whom I still talk with regularly or semi-regularly, and they are not arrogant about their team at all. To me they are friends and I would have loved to see them get to celebrate a Memorial Cup.

Yes, there are some jerk fans on the internet; I've seen them too. People whose reaction to their team being caught cheating is denial, pointing fingers, playing the victim, etc. But there are also people who, when their little Timmy gets brought home in a police car after being caught shoplifting, will blame the cop instead of their kid. If MY team was caught, my reaction would be anger (at the team) and humility. But that's just me and obviously not everyone is going to react that way. I'm not going to tar the whole organization just because a few of their fans are knobs though. My team has idiot fans too and they don't represent me or the organization.

Of course, you're entitled to your own take. This is just mine. :)

Anonymous said...

That is a very good and detailed review of the Mem Cup and the Hawks situation etc. I would agree with pretty much everything you said. Nice to see a level headed and common sense approach to things, unlike what exists on some of the hockey chat boards.

canesrock