Today is overage deadline day - teams must declare their three overagers by 3pm Calgary time and after that there will be a "draft" to allow teams around the league to pick up the players who have been released.
We have one trade already this morning - Calgary has sent overage defenceman Zak Stebner to Tri-Cities for a 2011 3rd round bantam pick. The Americans' next game is on Tuesday when Calgary is in Tri-Cities to play them, so Stebner's first game for the Ams will be against his old team.
That move gets Calgary down to 3 overagers, but bumps Tri-Cities up to five, so the Ams will be making two more moves in the next 3 hours for sure. The only other teams that need to make moves today are Chilliwack (must move one of goaltender Lucas Gore, defencemen Jeff Einhorn and Brandon Manning, or forward Shayne Neigum) and Kootenay (must move one of goaltender Todd Mathews or forwards Steele Boomer, Matt Fraser, and Kevin King.)
UPDATE: Tri-City has gotten down to the limit by releasing forward Mike Brown and goaltender Alex Pechurskiy. They also released 18 year old import defenceman Nikita Kardashev, so at the moment they have zero imports.
Brown and Pechurskiy will be available in the overage draft later this afternoon.....right now only Kamloops is eligible to claim players in that draft so they'll have their pick of who they want.
UPDATE #2: Kootenay has waived goaltender Todd Mathews, and Chilliwack waived forward Shayne Neigum.
Kamloops then claimed Neigum, and that's the end of the day's festivities. Mathews, Mike Brown, and Alex Pechurskiy are free agents now.
10 comments:
mike brown would be a good fit for kamploops...
The ICE have released Todd Mathews. so sad to see him go, man that kid had character and can stop pucks pretty damn good too.
Todd Mathews was the Billy Smith of the WHL. Will be sad to see him go.
Do you have difficulties when going to the WHL website? Under the heading Official site I get a black rectangular box where I believe it should have headings like scores, standings, & more, mine is blank. Also when putting a word in search like scores it always comes up - oops an error occurred. Many thanks
alan .....
where are you? did you receive a suspension for checking from behind?
Alan,
I have never posted a comment before, but I read your blog daily and I am wondering if You are okay. You have not been here for awhile. Heres to hoping that everything is well.
Sharon
Thanks to the nice judge who finally granted me bail, I am indeed OK! :)
Jokes aside, I'm just extremely busy right now on a bunch of different fronts and haven't had much time to look after the blog properly.
I'll try to get back on the horse in the next couple days, if I can.
this is a great blog...look forward to its return.
nice blog ...... make a post once a month. when will you be giving your picks on winning the divisions.... in February? C'mon alan
good bye alan
Post a Comment