I am back....apologies for going so long between posts but I've been extremely busy in my "real" life the last few weeks and haven't had much free time to do this. I can't promise that I'm going to be updating every day from here on but the frequency should probably be a lot closer to what it used to be.
Just one note for today - I see Edmonton and Kamloops swapped goalies yesterday, the Oil Kings getting 19 year old Jon Groenheyde and the Blazers getting 18 year old Cam Lanigan. The deal means that Kamloops is now using two veteran goalies who were not on the team at the start of training camp.
Which makes me think - is there any team in the league whose goaltending has been more unsettled in recent years than Kamloops? It seems (to me anyway) that ever since Devan Dubnyk left for the pros, that the Blazers have had a steady stream of goalies running through their dressing room in the search for that night-in, night-out starter that every team covets. Every team has some periods of uncertainty at the position but it just seems to me like Kamloops' has gone on for quite a few years now.
That being said though, I like this trade for the Blazers. Having seen Lanigan a bit over the last couple years, I think he's a very promising goalie and I'm not sure why Edmonton gave up on him. Yeah, he was struggling this year....but he did play very well last year and even got himself an NHL camp invite from it. For giving up on that potential, the Oil Kings get Groenheyde, who at 19 and after 2-plus years in the WHL, still hasn't proven that he is more than a backup calibre goaltender. He has good nights and bad nights and has just been consistently inconsistent so far in his career. Edmonton already had that in Lanigan, only Lanigan is younger and theoretically has more upside, more room to improve. So I don't get this trade from Edmonton's POV.
8 comments:
Alan, when you have time, can you update each club and their prospect's lists.
Thanks!
Yay you're back!!!
alan ....
after 3 weeks gone you blog about that ? maybe you should not blog this year .... very disappointed
Welcome back Alan. Miss your info
Get a life anonymous, you don't even have the mental capacity to start your own blog.
god forbid someone who does not get paid to do this nor works for a team takes some time for his personal life between posts. some people just dont get it. some of us do though.
Welcome back Alan
Mike from Canmore
god forbid someone who does not get paid to do this nor works for a team takes some time for his personal life between posts. some people just dont get it. some of us do though.
Welcome back Alan
Mike from Canmore
I would think that Prince George has had an equally difficult time finding goaltenders...
Post a Comment