Tuesday, November 9, 2010

NHL All-Star changes

I was reading the sports news tonight when this NHL story caught my eye.

Basically, it sounds like the NHL is about to change the format of their All-Star game, with the changes to be in effect for this season already. Fans will vote on six starters like always, but NHL brass will pick the other 36 players. From those 42 players, two captains will be chosen, and those captains will proceed to pick their teams from the player pool, one at a time.

Of course, this scenario is completely familiar to anyone who ever played on a frozen pond - or even a sandlot ball diamond, soccer field, or playground half-court - anywhere in the world. Two captains - the two best players, biggest players, whatever - pick teams and you play. Which is what makes this idea kinda cool, when you think about it. We've all been there, and probably at some point, most of us have been picked first....and we've also been somebody's tag-along kid brother, getting picked last. I can't wait to watch these NHLers staring at the ground and shuffling their feet as it gets down to the last few players up for grabs.

Boy, am I dating myself by referencing this.....but who will be the NHL's "Albert"?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always did hate that -- it proves nothing. Confidence and self esteem are at risk. I know these are big boys, and they are all lucky to have been chosen to compete at this level, however, it still opens the door for riducule and finger pointing. Some decisions are made with no thought!

Anonymous said...

I really like the idea, but only if the captains are Crosby and Ovechkin will it work and live up to its potential.

Alan said...

You can't seriously think any of these elite NHLers are going to have their confidence or self esteem damaged by being picked last? If being picked as the 42nd best player in the NHL damages somebody's self-esteem, they have other issues. 600+ other NHLers don't even get invited to play in this game, being 42nd is nothing to be embarrassed about even if it means you get ribbed a little.

It's about entertainment....they're all big boys, they'll have a laugh and life will go on.