Tuesday, August 11, 2009

More on successful franchises

Before I get started here, one quick note to point out that the WHL has released the official schedule for 2009-10. You can find it on the WHL site.

Back to the league's most successful franchises for some more analysis now.....just for the heck of it, I decided to take a look at regular season success as well. So, the WHL's most successful franchises based on average regular season points over the last five years:

Team08-0907-0806-0705-0604-05Avg
Vancouver11910610010076100.2
Calgary12299851018398
Medicine Hat79931071039695.6
Kootenay78921049410494.4
Brandon1019093709690
Tri-City10110896676487.2
Kelowna9884539610487
Seattle759188769184.2
Everett6381111857783.4
Saskatoon1036758888680.4
Spokane9510780585879.6
Lethbridge759671639179.2
Swift Current868969625371.8
Regina609480853470.6
Kamloops725886736170
Moose Jaw418859963964.6
Red Deer604379588264.4
Prince Albert675760617163.2
Edmonton6755n/an/an/a61
Prince George534474765760.8
Chilliwack456557n/an/a55.7
Portland432537728051.4

If 100 points is considered the gold standard for a very successful season, the Vancouver Giants have averaged that number over the last five years. In fact, they've hit the century mark for four straight years now.

At the low end of the scale....well, apart from Edmonton and Chilliwack, who can be forgiven their low totals for being expansion teams, you have eight other teams that have not averaged .500, including the Cougars and Winter Hawks (I'll put the space in there because the space-less team hasn't played a game yet!) who have averaged worse than the expansion team(s).

And over the last ten years:

Team03-0402-0301-0200-0199-00Avg
Kootenay74838310010291.4
Calgary8263728212090.9
Kelowna9810977865786.2
Vancouver816136n/an/a84.9
Brandon689892725983.9
Everett80n/an/an/an/a82.8
Swift Current7986979510181.7
Medicine Hat926766565481.3
Red Deer851051001147379.9
Spokane7562807910079.4
Seattle659453698078.2
Kamloops788485797875.4
Tri-City764872575774.6
Regina596992857573.3
Lethbridge716172665972.5
Moose Jaw918668776370.8
Saskatoon278562487970.3
Prince George685779709567.3
Prince Albert876257436563
Edmontonn/an/an/an/an/a61
Portland775183823958.9
Chilliwackn/an/an/an/an/a55.7

After comparing these charts to the ones of playoff success, I don't think there is a huge variation....teams that have consistently had some regular season success have generally also had some playoff success. No surprise there really, I guess....

UPDATE: A reader has thoughtfully compiled the complete records for the top teams over the last decade:

WLTOTLSOLPts
Kootenay413219421115894
Calgary417226341013891
Kelowna389245293014852
Medicine Hat367274261313786
Vancouver304201241126669
Kamloops332318371011722
Brandon359260171517767
Spokane354281401016774
Red Deer355284381022780
Kamloops32730740817719

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not suggesting Vancuver has not had a good team in the past five years but how many points did they get playing Chilliwack, Prince George, and Portland ?

Anonymous said...

Agreed, is there a way to do a strength of schedule?

Alan said...

The big problem I see with trying to analyze strength of schedule is that it varies from year to year. One season's doormats are the next season's contenders. So you would have to analyze each season individually and that is just a hell of a lot of work. I welcome anyone who wants to take a stab at it though. :-)

One other thing to point out there actually - this is a two-way street. Was Vancouver's record so good because they played weak teams so much, or were those weak teams' records so bad because they played good teams so much? A little bit of both, I'm sure?

Anonymous said...

Great stuff, except for a little kid stealing your work and posting it on the whl message board. What a sad thing, doesnt even give you credit and acts like he did all the work.

Anonymous said...

Yeah-- KBF is a real TOOL (with no tool) signed off by Moosey

Alan said...

For the record, KBF didn't steal anything from me. He contacted me and asked if I was interested in the overall records of the top teams.

He compiled those records himself and I have posted them here. I know he posted them on the message board too, but he compiled them himself so that's his right and he doesn't have to give me credit since it's not my work.

All is good here.

Anonymous said...

Hey nice try there boys. You couldn't look more retarded than you already do right now if you had a helmet and a gold medal from the special Olympics. Try again, this time without making yourselves look like dumbasses.