Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sbisa coming back

News out of Anaheim this morning has the NHL's Ducks re-assigning 19 year old defenceman Luca Sbisa.....the location of the re-assignment wasn't specified but as a player drafted from the CHL, I believe the only option for Sbisa is back to the WHL and the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

This presents a problem for Lethbridge since they already have two other imports - overage forward Radim Valchar and 17 year old goaltender Ville Kolppanen. In order to make room for Sbisa, they need to trade/release one of those two. Their other option is to trade Sbisa's rights to another WHL club - there are currently five WHL teams (Calgary, Kelowna, Saskatoon, Swift Current, and Tri-City) with openings for an import and I'm sure at least a couple of those are very interested in a player of Sbisa's calibre. And of course any of the other teams in the league could make a move to free up an import spot if they wanted Sbisa as well.

I think the choice for Lethbridge comes down to whether they think Kolppanen has a future in their net beyond this year. If he does, then they probably want to keep him, and I think a trade of Sbisa is more likely in that case. Otherwise though, it makes more sense to release Kolppanen now and use Brandon Anderson as Linden Rowat's backup once Anderson is healthy again. And the Canes can surely use a player like Sbisa on their back end as well. It will be interesting to see what the Canes decide to do with their good fortune of having a player like this fall into their laps somewhat unexpectedly.

7 comments:

bob said...

kolppanen has steadily been getting better and will more than likely remain in a canes jersey the same cannot be said for valchar he has basicly done nothing since the 1st couple of games.......i would bet that sbisa and 1 or 2 other will be bundled up and moved to a contender to bolster a very weak canes roster....welcome back to town luca...

Anonymous said...

i dont think the canes will move sbisa you look at there team they got a good goalie in rowat 5 top 4 dmen now reddington ross mestery yadlowski and sbisa 5 top 6 forwards ashton bancks maxwell braes and fyten and i have already heard valchar is now gonna play in either the echl or europe so opens a 20 year old spot mening they could add a top 6 forward like stickland tassone halliday rodgers nunn or dunstall

Anonymous said...

Tassone won't be eligable to play till end of November so they'll stick with Doyle, Stickland, and Claffey until they are forced to make a decision upon Tassone's return to the roster. Should be interesting...man would Sbisa be a nice option in a Broncos uniform. We will see.

Anonymous said...

Halliday a top 6 forward, that's funny. Vulchar will be going back to europe. He's not good enough for the echl.

caley said...

I read a rumor that Anaheim is looking into maybe loaning Sbisa to a European team, being that he's from Switzerland and they feel he won't really learn much going down to the WHL.

Anonymous said...

he already been sent back to lethbridge and there is no way rich p will trade sbisa right now not until jan 10th same with ashton if the team is making a run they wont trade them all you people think lethbridge is a bad team to tell u the truth they deserve to be 500 not 5-9-2 they are a real hard working team and all they need is a top 6 forward to tell u the truth with sbisa and a top 6 f i can bet they will be a lighter version of last years hitmen a team that was expected to do nothing and look where they went

Anonymous said...

Say good bye to Vulchar. I saw his act last year for the Hawks, he is not WHL quality, especially for an over-age player.