Thursday, October 15, 2009

Thursday notes

Today at 3pm Calgary time is the WHL overage cut-down deadline. There are six teams who are still carrying more than the allowed limit of three 20 year olds: Brandon, Medicine Hat, Prince George, Spokane, Swift Current, and Vancouver.

However, I understand that three of those teams have been given injury exemptions: Spokane (Spurgeon/Letts), Swift Current (Tassone), and Vancouver (Nunn). So those teams will not have to do anything today. Instead they will have 7 days from the day their injured player(s) return to rectify their overage situations. This is similar to last season, when the Broncos were allowed to retain the rights to Jesse Dudas until well after Christmas as he recovered from a knee injury. When he was able to return, the Broncos had a week to get back down to three O/A's, which they did by trading Dudas to Regina.

So only Brandon, Medicine Hat, and Prince George need to make moves today. Medicine Hat has pretty much made their decision already, as goaltender Ryan Holfeld has not dressed for a game in three weeks and wasn't even brought along on the team's B.C. road trip last week. So it's just a question of whether they find a trade partner for him today or whether they have to release him for nothing. In Brandon, it seems to have come down to either Del Cowan or Aaron Lewadniuk as the odd man out. Either one of them should be able to find another place to play though. In Prince George, I have no idea what the Cougars are going to do. Probably Garrett Thiessen is the odd man out there but maybe it'll be Tyler Halliday instead. I don't think they can afford to let go of Alex Rodgers (2nd on the team in scoring) or Dallas Jackson (their best offensive defenceman when he gets healthy).

Three teams have openings for one more overager each: Calgary, Kelowna, and Kootenay. I predict that at the end of the day, one of those three teams will have traded for either Cowan or Lewadniuk from Brandon, and the other two will have done nothing since none of those teams is likely to be interested in Holfeld or Thiessen.

UPDATE: Prince George has placed Dallas Jackson on their injured list and so they do not have to make a move today either. So apart from Brandon making a move, this is shaping up to be a pretty dull overage deadline today.

UPDATE #2: I didn't mean to imply that Prince George just did this today. For all I know he has been there for a while....probably has since he was hurt in preseason. I just learned about it today is all I meant.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

From What I know both Del and Aaron would choose to stay in Manitoba if they were released from Brandon and play in MJHL.

Alan said...

Which is fine as long as they get a release from the WHL. As long as a team in the WHL owns their rights and won't release them, they can't simply drop down to Jr A.

If they're not willing to play anywhere else in the WHL though, I don't see any team picking them up. Guess we'll see.

dennis said...

I dont agree with injury exceptions. I think a team should have to choose who they want to keep and keep them

Anonymous said...

yeah i agree on that too, how convienient that PG places a 20 year old on Injury list today? need a little more time to make a deal do ya? what bunch of crap, who do you want on the team? when a team answers that by the dealine, they release the fourth player. simple.

That way the player can move on and become part of another team sooner rather than later, letting them gel and fit in elsewhere quicker. Better for the player, better for the team picking up a guy.

Anonymous said...

is the deadline 3 pm or 4 pm. luber says 4pm. just wondering. thanks for the updates to man

Anonymous said...

It just passed. Luber said it was 4pm because of the time zone.

Anonymous said...

I think Prince George should be given an exception due to the fact that it's Prince George.... Give them a roster full of 20's. Not many kids want to play for a bad team that travels a LOT!

Malc said...

Prince George Cougars have selected Del Cowan from the Brandon Wheat Kings in the WHL cut-down draft. So who have they released?

Malc said...

It turns out to be nobody yet as PG have 2 injured 20's:
#28 Garrett Thiessen – Shoulder – 2 weeks
#29 Dallas Jackson – Dislocated Shoulder – 3-5 weeks

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha to funny. Just gives them more time for trades to be worked out.