Sunday, March 14, 2010

Season ends

And as the 2009-10 regular season draws to a close....

- Swift Current beat Moose Jaw, in overtime no less, and the Broncos finish 7th in the East and will play Brandon in the first round. Moose Jaw finishes 8th and will play Calgary.

- needing a point to claim the U.S. division title, Everett comes up short as they lose to Spokane in regulation. So with that, Tri-City wins the division title and gets the #1 seed. They will play Chilliwack in the first round. Everett ends up the #3 seed and will play Kelowna in the first round.

- Seattle beats Vancouver in overtime, which takes Seattle out of the running for the #1 overall draft pick in the draft lottery which will be held later this week. The odds of winning the #1 overall pick this year are:

Prince George: 57%
Edmonton: 24%
Lethbridge: 19%

No other team can win the #1 pick.

Couple other notes....

- The Hitmen's Brandon Kozun is the 2009-10 WHL scoring champion. He notched four points today in Calgary's 8-1 win over Red Deer, and thus moved one point ahead of Regina's Jordan Eberle to finish with a total of 107 points.

- for the first time in four years, the top 16 teams in the league made the playoffs. There are no non-playoff teams who have more points than a playoff team in the other conference. That has not happened since 2005-06.

Playoffs start Thursday....I'll have some series preview stuff out this week, as well as start poring over the final regular season stats looking for stuff to post about....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your prediction for 8th place in the East was 78 points which is what MJ finished with, they didn't need 78 points but it was a good guess.

Anonymous said...

Any idea yet on which series will be covered on Shaw? I'm hoping for Kootenay - Medicine Hat... but as usual it will probably be the Vancouver series. I don't see it being Calgary's series yet because they wouldn't want to broadcast in the crushed can.

Alan said...

Yeah, I kind of nailed the # of points needed to make the playoffs, eh....I can't take any credit for being smart though, I came up with that number as a combination of what teams were on pace for, and the # of points needed to make the playoffs in the past.

As for Shaw, I have heard it will be the Vancouver-Kamloops series. That is the only all-Canadian series in the West so if they're going to do a West series, it will almost certainly be that one.

If they do the East instead, then I'd like to see Medicine Hat vs Kootenay too, if only because it looks like the closest series we'll see in the East. Although I think Red Deer vs Saskatoon has some potential as well, if the Rebels play the way they did in February and not the way they played in March.

Anonymous said...

Yep you were right with the Vancouver vs. Kamloops series. Kinda makes me mad that they always do the Vancouver series, and will likely do Calgary's in the next round. I would have rather seen the Spokane vs. Portland series in the West and the ones you mentioned in the East.

Alan said...

Yes, it's unfortunate that Shaw must always pander to the largest markets....but it is a business after all, and they only make money on these broadcasts by getting eyeballs in front of advertisers. If that means showing nothing but Vancouver and Calgary, then they're going to do that all day long.

It's too bad that $$$ means they are missing out on some of the best series in the early rounds....but ultimately I'll take seeing the 7th or 8th best first round series over seeing no series at all. If Shaw wasn't doing this, nobody else would.

And hey, maybe next year Calgary or Vancouver will only be a #4 or a #5 seed and showing them in the first round might result in a pretty good matchup one of these years. :)

Anonymous said...

Alan are you suggesting Kamloops Vancouver doesn't deserve to be on Shaw? I'm a Blazers fan now well I understand its about money I think of all the match up's besides ours against van and Ice Tiger Series, those two are going to be close, and Shaw saves money by sticking in BC. Besides it was a great season series between the giants and Blazers I say Blazers in 6. Reasons you may ask well you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who played the Giants as hard as the Blazers did and were finally going in the right direction, sit back and enjoy!