Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Warriors on the verge

Moose Jaw won tonight to take a 3-1 lead over the Hitmen.....I got an email asking if I knew when the last time a #8 seed eliminated a #1 seed in the first round of the playoffs, so I did a little checking.

It has never happened in the years the WHL has been using the 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 format. But the last time a regular season conference champion (the equivalent of today's #1 seeds) lost in the first round was 2001-02, when the Kamloops Blazers were swept in the first round by Kelowna.

Truly a rare accomplishment any way you look at it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though it is worth noting Kamloops and Kelowna were separated by only 8 points that year compared to the 29 point differential here.

The 4th win will be a tough one. This isn't in the bag quite yet.

Evan

Jeff said...

Since Swift Current lost tonight, do you know when the last time a team came back from 3-0 to win 4 in a row?

Jeff

Alan said...

Jeff - I believe it has only happened once, in 1996 (?) when Spokane dropped the first three games to Portland and then came back to win four straight.

Anonymous said...

The 01-02 playoffs Seattle beat Portland in 7 games in what would be a #1 v.s 8 in today's playoff format.

Anonymous said...

Actually my mistake Kamloops had 2 more pts than Portland that season... Making the Seattle/Portland a #2 v.s 8. By today's standards.... But I think that's as close as it gets.