Thursday, July 10, 2008

AHL team name

The name of Iowa's AHL team was announced yesterday, and it is one of the more unique and interesting names lately: the Iowa Chops.

The logo is a boar's head, and the team owner says of the name, "It illustrates Iowa’s agricultural heritage while also playing into the definition of ‘chops’, having nerve, resilience and staying power. The word ‘chops’ can mean continually defeating someone, and that is the reputation we expect Iowa’s new team to gain in the league."

Now, I can't be alone on this....but when I see a pig's head and the word "Chops", that's not what I think at all. I think......Barbeque!!

And will the teams' lumber be known as the "Chops' sticks?"

Joking aside, it's nice to see a sports team with a "different" name now and then. Lots of teams call themselves safe names like the "Panthers", the "Braves", the "Bears", etc. You gotta have colourful ones like the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees and the Macon Whoopee too.....

No comments: