Monday, February 23, 2009

Monday notes

I've updated the playoff picture preview post (below) with some more info, such as the dates of each team's remaining games, the head-to-head records for current playoff matchups, and the "magic numbers" have been examined carefully to ensure they are all correct.

Everett clinched a playoff spot on the weekend, so the only eventual Western conference playoff team that hasn't clinched yet is Prince George.

Moose Jaw was mathematically eliminated on the weekend. I expect Chilliwack will follow suit by the end of the coming weekend.

A look at the potential playoff matchups coming later today, probably. In the meantime I have one NHL note that caught my eye this morning. Seems enigmatic Canadiens star Alexei Kovalev and Habs G.M. Bob Gainey have a "special bond".

Says Kovalev: "I don't like to tell things to people or say how I feel. I'm not that open as a person. Bob is the only one I open up to and say how I feel."

Given the stormy relationship Kovalev has had with the Canadiens this season, I'd guess that the last time he opened up to Gainey, it went something like "Bob, I wish I knew how to quit you".

And speaking of quitting, 18 year old Prince George Cougars forward Corey Tyrell packed his bags and left the Cougars over the weekend as well, supposedly in a disagreement with the team over his ice time, possibly spurred by pressure from his family. Great quote from Cougars coach Wade Klippenstein about the situation too: "Did Walter Gretzky expect Keith to get the same icetime as Wayne?".

No comments: