Maple Leafs G.M. Brian Burke sez that an NHL team recently offered him a top-five pick in this June's NHL draft in exchange for Luke Schenn, and that he turned it down.
Uh....whaaaat? Firstoff, there's probably only one team in the NHL right now who have a guaranteed top-five pick and that's the Islanders. Atlanta's close but a few wins could move the Thrashers out of the bottom five too. Everyone else is way too bunched together to say for sure that a team's pick will be in the top five in the draft.
So if it were the Islanders and they did make this offer, then Isles G.M. Garth Snow is an even bigger moron than anyone first thought, because it means he's prepared to give up either John Tavares or Victor Hedman (and if they finish last, the Islanders are guaranteed of at least one of those two players) for Luke Schenn.
Schenn is good....I like Luke Schenn. But I would give him up in a heartbeat for Tavares or Hedman. Which is why you have to wonder about anyone making this offer. Just like you have to really wonder about Burke for turning it down. Or, maybe, there was no such offer and Burke is just B.S.ing people because he likes attention.
5 comments:
I wouldn't trade Schenn for Tavares or Hedman.....
Burke is a moron........here he is out of the Tavares/Hedman sweepstakes because he's winning enough games. The MORON should send Schenn back to Kelowna and trade away Kaberle etc to ensure a high pick.
I call BS on burke!!!!!!!!!
A bird in the hand! Who in their right mind would give up Schenn for a draft pick which may or may not, depending on the outcome of the draft lottery, give you a shot at Schenn? Certainly not me!
I meant Tavares in my last post, of course. Sorry about that!
I wouldn't give Schenn up for the #5 pick....don't get me wrong. But the idea is that this might be the Islanders' pick we are talking about, since they are the only sure top-five team right now.
The Islanders pick, if they finish dead last, will be good for either Tavares or Hedman, guaranteed. They cannot drop more than one position even if they lose the lottery, from #1 down to #2.
Post a Comment