Monday, June 15, 2009

2009-10 overage picks

Just something to while away the summertime....a team-by-team look at who might be the overagers in the league next year.

Under "eligible" I have listed every '89 player that the team owns the rights to, if they have played previously in the WHL. I ignored the NCAA players every team has on their list because the chances of those guys coming to the WHL just aren't ever that good.

Agree/disagree? Comments/thoughts/notes welcome....

One thing that sticks out to me as I do these is the number of good overagers who could/should be available next year. It looks like a deep year for overagers next year, unlike some recent years where the crop has been pretty lean. So for teams who are short overagers, that's good news because it means there should be some good ones available at a reasonably cheap price.


Brandon:
-----------
Eligible: Keith Aulie (D), Matt Calvert (F), Del Cowan (F), Jay Fehr (F), Nathan Green (F), Cale Jefferies (F), Aaron Lewadniuk (F)

Thoughts: scratch Aulie (pro) and Jeffries (headed to university) from the list. That leaves the other five as likely to return. Calvert is drafted but his NHL club has another year to sign him yet so a return to junior, especially to a team hosting the Memorial Cup, seems likely for him. All five are forwards, and all five were in double-digits in goals last year, so all five should probably be in the WHL somewhere next year. But the Wheaties gotta move two of them at least. I say "at least" because the Brandon blueline is a little unspectacular, so perhaps they'd like to acquire a top O/A d-man to give things a lift back there. Even if it costs them a guy like Green....they have the depth up front to spare.

Projected: Calvert, Fehr, and Green are the most likely to stay if they keep three forwards. Lewadniuk and Cowan will land on other teams.

Calgary:
----------
Eligible: Joel Broda (F), Bostjan Golicic (F), Tomas Karpov (F), Jason MacDonald (F), Alex Plante (D), Paul Postma (D), Brett Sonne (F)

Thoughts: scratch Plante, Postma, and Sonne (all signed and going pro) from the list. Karpov is probably gone too, I think he has pro options in the Czech Republic. Broda has another year before his NHL team (Washington) has to sign him, but he just scored 53 goals, he has nothing left to do in the WHL and doesn't belong here, so I think the Caps will get a deal done with him and he'll go pro also. Golicic and his 26 goals is a decent option for a two-spot player if he wants to come back. Otherwise, it's only Jason MacDonald left and he's a 3rd line checker/grinder type player, not your traditional overage option.

Projected: MacDonald....and maybe Golicic. But the Hitmen will definitely be looking for some O/As to acquire elsewhere, quite likely at least one defenceman for sure.

Chilliwack:
-------------
Eligible: Jesse Craige (D), Mitch McColm (D), Matt Meropoulis (F), Jadon Potter (F), Andy Smith (F)

Thoughts: Craige, Meropoulis, Potter, and Smith were probably all coming back, and the team traded for McColm so you know he's going to be in the plans too. Potter might still be a bit of a question mark after his 08-09 season ended in November with a broken neck - will he come back and play again? If he does, he's a lock for the team. I would think skilled guys like Craige and Andy Smith would be very good bets for spots too, which means things don't look so good for Meropoulis. But they traded for McColm, so surely he's going to be in there too....

Projected: Potter, Craige, and McColm....which means Smith probably gets traded. Unless Potter doesn't come back of course, in which case Smith would stay a Bruin. I think Meropoulis is probably headed for Jr A. 

Edmonton:
-------------
Eligible: Brett Breitkreuz (F), Torrie Jung (G), Craig McCallum (F), Drew Nichol (D), Garrett Thiessen (D)

Thoughts: The Oil Kings picked up Thiessen on waivers from Prince Albert last week, which is probably bad news for Drew Nichol since they're similar players. Probably only one of those guys at best makes the team so....let the training camp battle begin. Breitkreuz is a lock for a spot and I would think they would like McCallum back too, but you have to make room for Jung too they want to go with two 17 & 16 year old goalies (Lanigan & Brossoit) next year, which I'm sure they don't. So does McCallum get squeezed out? Or does McCallum stay which means neither of Nichol/Thiessen make the team?

Projected: Breitkreuz, Jung, and McCallum are the three. I think both Nichol and Thiessen end up in Jr A. 

Everett:
---------
Eligible: Mike Alexander (D), Shayne Barrie (G), Shayne Brown (D), Jesse Burt (F), Zack Dailey (F), Shane Harper (F)

Thoughts: probably scratch Barrie since he was sent to Jr A midseason last year. He's on their list but probably not in their plans. Also scratch Burt since the club already said he's not in their plans for next year. That leaves Alexander, Brown, Dailey, and Harper, but the team also already said Alexander is being brought back only to shop him around to other teams, so the overage situation is pretty much set in Everett already.

Projected: Brown, Dailey, and Harper are Silvertips. Alexander gets traded somewhere. Burt probably goes to Jr A.

Kamloops:
-------------
Eligible: Justin Leclerc (G), Giffen Nyren (D), C.J Stretch (F)

Thoughts: Well, there really aren't any choices to be made here, are there....not unless they decide to swap one of these guys for someone else. This is a pretty good trio talent-wise and they'll all be in the league as overagers next year for sure though. 

Projected: Leclerc, Nyren, and Stretch.

Kelowna:
-----------
Eligible: Cody Almond (F), Mikael Backlund (F), Jamie Benn (F), Lucas Bloodoff (F), Mark Guggenberger (G), Colin Long (F), Luke Schenn (D)

Thoughts: scratch Almond, Backlund, and Benn (pro) and Schenn (pro last season already). That leaves Bloodoff, Guggenberger, and Long; Long is ready to go pro but he's not signed and Phoemilton has another year to sign him yet, so he could very well be back. I do have a bit of a question about whether Guggenberger has a place here since Adam Brown showed last year that he may be ready to be the #1 guy next year at 18. So if there's a good backup in the system, maybe Guggenberger is tradeable. If they lose Myers to the pros next year, the blueline in Kelowna will be looking thin, and moving Guggenberger for a good overage defenceman might help. We'll see.

Projected: Bloodoff, Guggenberger, and Long. 

Kootenay:
------------
Eligible: Scott Orth (G), Tylan Stephens (F), Dustin Sylvester (F)

Thoughts: I don't think Orth is going to be in the plans, since he was only an emergency fill-in last year when Lieuwen was hurt. I also hear that Stephens is considering leaving the WHL to concentrate on school next year. If that ends up being true, the Ice would only have Sylvester for 20 year olds next year. I'm sure the Ice would love to have Stephens and his 27 goals back next year though if he can be persuaded.

Projected: Sylvester, and Stephens if he comes back.

Lethbridge:
--------------
Eligible: Lucas Alexiuk (D), Carter Bancks (F), Zach Boychuk (F), Dwight King (F), Juha Metsola (G), Colton Sceviour (F), Cam Stevens (D)

Thoughts: scratch Boychuk, King, Sceviour (pro), Metsola (pro in Finland), and Alexiuk (cut in midseason last year). That leaves Bancks and Stevens and I wouldn't count on Stevens being back since they traded him to Tri-City last year. He's back on Lethbridge's list now but he spent half of last year in Jr A and I suspect he'll stay there as an overage.

Projected: Bancks for sure. Look for them to add two others, one possibly being a goalie since they don't really have anyone ready to replace Metsola as the starter?

Medicine Hat:
--------------
Eligible: Bretton Cameron (F), Travis Dunstall (F), Tyler Ennis (F), Colton Grant (F), Ryan Holfeld (G), Mark Isherwood (D), Tyler Kieffer (D), Tomas Kundratek (D)

Thoughts: Ennis and Kundratek are gone to the pros. Yeah, I know the Sabres have another year to sign Ennis yet, but he's a first round pick and he scored 40-some goals last year, so what are the chances that deal doesn't get done by October? Kieffer is a big question mark since he never reported after being acquired from Everett last year. Assuming he doesn't report, that leaves five guys - Cameron, Dunstall, Grant, Holfeld, and Isherwood - fighting for three spots. Do they keep Holfeld, or is Tyler Bunz ready to be a starter at 17? They have five other 18/19 year old d-men; do they need Isherwood's veteran presence back there or can they spare him? Is Dunstall - the most talented of the three forwards - going to stick around despite rumoured clashes with Willie Desjardins last year over Dunstall's effort level?

Projected: Holfeld, Isherwood, and Grant. Just guessing....I think they let Bunz backup Holfeld for one more year yet. Isherwood isn't perfect but he's a good two-way guy on the blueline, they can move one of the 19 year olds if they need to make room for young guys. And I think they let Dunstall get a fresh start somewhere else via trade, and keep Grant instead.

Moose Jaw:
--------------
Eligible: Jason Bast (F), Martin Filo (F), Cody Smuk (F), Ryan Stanton (D)

Thoughts: I don't think Filo is coming back to the WHL as a two-spot player. That leaves the other three. 

Projected: Bast, Smuk, and Stanton....Smuk might be a candidate for an upgrade?

Portland:
------------
Eligible: Brock Cornish (D), Travis Erhardt (D), Chris Francis (F), Ryan Kerr (D), Jonathon Milhouse (F), Kurtis Mucha (G), Stefan Schneider (F), Radim Valchar (F)

Thoughts: Valchar (pro in Europe) won't be back and I don't think Milhouse would be welcome back after the way he ditched the team in midseason to play Jr A. The other five guys are all very to somewhat likely to be in the WHL somewhere this season. I think Erhardt and Francis are pretty sure things to be in Portland; the third spot is probably Mucha although if the team is confident in Ian Curtis and Keith Hamilton, that could change. But I'd bet on Mucha being one of those very rare WHL goalies who is a five-year starter for the same team. Cornish and Kerr I think will find jobs elsewhere in the league via trade. Cornish has had injury problems the last couple years but he's a decent player when he's healthy. Kerr will never justify having been the #1 overall bantam pick at one point but he's a useful depth player for a team that could use someone like that. Schneider might have some value to somebody as well, due to his size and ability to play both forward and defence. 

Projected: Erhardt, Francis, Mucha.

Prince Albert:
---------------
Eligible: Dustin Cameron (F), Patrick Kozyra (D), Bryce Lamb (F), Garrett Zemlak (G)

Thoughts: scratch Lamb, because he has agreed to play Jr A next year in Dauphin (MJHL). That leaves the other three. I have my doubts about Zemlak's spot though, since starter Steven Stanford is 19 and the Raiders need to break in a younger goalie who can take over as starter in 2010-11. So I think they'll part ways with Zemlak, who'll drop to Jr A.

Projected: Cameron and Kozyra, with a 3rd one to be acquired.

Prince George:
--------------
Eligible: Joe Caligiuri (G), Tyler Halliday (F), Cody Hobbs (D), Dallas Jackson (D), Alex Poulter (F), Brad Reige (F), Colin Scherger (D), Dana Tyrell (F), Marcus Watson (F)

Thoughts: scratch Tyrell (pro) and Reige (retired last summer). And Poulter, Scherger, and Watson have already been told their services won't be required by next year's Cougars. That leaves Caligiuri, Halliday, Hobbs, and Jackson to battle for three spots. I think Caligiuri is safe because without him, the Cougars would be throwing their goalie of the future, Michael Salmon, into the fire. A Caligiuri/Salmon combo next year would help ease Salmon into the WHL. Jackson is safe since he's the Cougars' best defenceman. That leaves Halliday vs Hobbs; I think they take Halliday for some leadership and toughness, but Hobbs would not surprise me either since that defence is truly bad and needs all the veteran help it can get.

Projected: Caligiuri, Halliday, Jackson.

Red Deer:
-------------
Eligible: Jordie Deagle (F), Cody Esposito (F), Cody Gross (F), Cullen Morin (D), Travis Rolheiser (G), Brandon Sutter (F)

Thoughts: scratch Sutter (pro last year already) from the list. Rolheiser was an injury fill-in so he's not likely in the team's plans either. That leaves Deagle, Esposito, Gross, and Morin for three spots. Given how many times Esposito's consistency and effort level were criticized last year, I think he might be the odd man out since you don't want slackers for overagers. But honestly, if the Rebels had better candidates available, I don't think Deagle or Gross would make the cut either. But the talent pool is what it is.

Projected: Deagle, Gross, and Morin.

Regina:
-----------
Eligible: Rudolf Cerveny (F), Mitchell Czibere (F), Matt Delahey (D), Brett Leffler (F), Linden Rowat (G), Matt Strueby (F)

Thoughts: don't think the unspectacular Cerveny is going to be back as a two-spotter, but all the rest of these guys should be back in the WHL somewhere next year unless Delahey signs with the Devils. But they have another year to sign him yet and I expect they'll use it, which puts him back in Regina. I think Delahey and Leffler are shoo-ins for spots. The third spot goes to one of the forwards, probably Strueby....the coaches had some issues with Strueby last year but it's a new coaching staff this year so he gets a clean slate again. Czibere will be traded, as will Rowat. The Pats have a glut of goalies and I expect they'll make Ketlo the starter and bring in Tendler or Guhle as the backup. A team like Lethbridge might be interested in Rowat?

Projected: Delahey, Leffler, Strueby.

Saskatoon:
--------------
Eligible: Colton Gillies (F), Braden Holtby (G), Derek Hulak (F), Sam Klassen (D), Milan Kytnar (F), Chris Langkow (F), Walker Wintoneak (F)

Thoughts: scratch Gillies (pro last year already) and Holtby (pro), and I think the other five are likely back, which means some tough decisions here. Kytnar is signed by the Oilers but the Oilers have indicated he is likely ticketed back to the WHL, which means he'd be a two-spotter. If the Blades have another option for a new younger import to go with Niemi, then Kytnar might be trade bait, since there's lots of offensive forward options (Hulak, Langkow, Wintoneak) to replace Kytnar's contributions. For now though, I assume Kytnar will be back. I think they need Klassen on the blueline too, which means they can also probably only keep captain Hulak and will have to trade Langkow and Wintoneak. There will be takers out there for them....

Projected: Hulak, Klassen, and Kytnar.

Seattle:
------------
Eligible: Colin Haas (F), Thomas Hickey (D), Oscar Moller (F), Lindsay Nielson (F), Jim O'Brien (F), Prab Rai (F), David Richard (F), Jeremy Schappert (D)

Thoughts: Hickey, Moller (although he never played for Seattle anyway), and O'Brien are gone to the pros. Moller was already pro last year of course. Haas won't be in the plans, since he hasn't been in the Birds' plans since last Christmas. That leaves the other four, who should all be back. I think Rai is safe, assuming he isn't signed a year early by the Vancouver Canucks, and Schappert's a good guy to have around. That leaves one of Nielson or Richard up front....probably Richard.

Projected: Rai, Richard, Schappert. Nielson should find a job in the WHL somewhere?

Spokane:
------------
Eligible: Brett Bartman (D), Drayson Bowman (F), Dustin Donaghy (D), Ryan Letts (F), Ondrej Roman (F), Jared Spurgeon (D), Dustin Tokarski (G)

Thoughts: scratch outgoing pros Bowman, Roman, and Tokarski. That leaves Bartman, Donaghy, Letts, and Spurgeon for three spots. Outside shot Spurgeon could sign with the Islanders and leave, but I think he'll be back for another year. And if so, he's a lock for a spot. Bartman's a dependable choice on the blueline too, which leaves Donaghy vs Letts for the last spot. They're similar players and wouldn't both be kept anyway even if Spurgeon was gone. I suspect Donaghy gets the spot since he's probably tougher and also looks like he might have a bit more offensive upside. 

Projected: Bartman, Donaghy, Spurgeon. Letts might find a spot elsewhere in the league or he might finish his career in Jr A.

Swift Current:
--------------
Eligible: Derek Claffey (D), Eric Doyle (D), Ryan Molle (D), John Negrin (D), Michael Stickland (F), Matt Tassone (F)

Thoughts: Negrin is long gone to the pros, he already played some NHL games last year after the Broncos were eliminated. Tassone really should move on to the pros after his great season last year but he is coming off surgery and Dallas has another year to sign him yet so he will probably be back. Molle is probably headed to the Jr A ranks. Claffey, Doyle, and Stickland should all join Tassone in fighting for three spots then. I think Tassone and Stickland are safe, which means it comes down to whether you want Doyle's offence from the blueline, or Claffey's more rounded game back there. Whichever one they don't keep will make good trade bait.

Projected: Claffey, Stickland, Tassone. Doyle should fetch a nice return on the trade market.

Tri-City:
--------------
Eligible: Johnny Lazo (F), Chet Pickard (G), Brett Plouffe (D), Petr Stoklasa (F), Jarrett Toll (D)

Thoughts: Pickard is gone to the pros, and I wouldn't count on Stoklasa being back as a two-spot guy, he's not the elite import you need to be to pull that off. That leaves the other three, which really isn't a bad trio at all. 

Projected: Lazo, Plouffe, Toll. Don't rule out a trade of one of the defencemen though, to acquire a forward instead.

Vancouver:
--------------
Eligible: Adam Basford (F), John Blum (D), Ryan Funk (D), Garry Nunn (F), Brent Regner (D), Alex Rodgers (F), Nick Ross (D), Tyson Sexsmith (G), Nolan Toigo (D)

Thoughts: Scratch Blum, Regner, Ross, and Sexsmith, who are all bound for the pros. Actually, I'm not sure that Regner has signed yet, but after the year he had, I'm sure Columbus will get something done. He doesn't belong back in the WHL any more than somebody like Joel Broda does. That leaves Basford, Funk, Nunn, Rodgers, and Toigo to fight over three spots. They traded for Funk so he's probably safe and I think Nunn is a good bet too. I believe Toigo was waffling on whether he wants to come back or whether he wants to go back to Jr A; he doesn't have a secure spot on the team either way so I figure he'll be gone. That leaves Basford vs. Rodgers for one spot. I think I'd rather have Basford, which means Rodgers is trade bait.

Projected: Basford, Funk, Nunn.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Alan good job. About the tigers the projected 3 will have cameron, grant in there and i'm saying also isherwood, Holfeld is a class guy but i can't see him staying with the tigers

Anonymous said...

Garrett Theissen plays for PA, not Edmonton.

Laura said...

The Bruins released Meropoulis last week.

Garth MacBeth said...

Regina's Cerveny is gone. He signed with his hometown team Ceske Budejovice at the end of April.

tigs1010 said...

Anon Theissen got put on waivers by PA and Edmonton picked him up so he's with the Oil Kings now.

Mike Walsh said...

Great job Alan. Personally I think that Postma will be back. I don't think he is ready for the pro game and I am going to guess that one of Sonne or Broda will be back.

Anonymous said...

Mike, wishful thinking buddy. What do you mean Postma isn't ready for pro's? He was very solid for the Hitmen. Sonne is gone for sure, and Broda is a 50 goal scorer who is 20, he will be gone. Sorry buddy, it's the reality of junior hockey.

Alan said...

I actually agree with Mike in regards to Postma's readiness for pro hockey. The offensive numbers last year are dazzling but I think most Hitmen fans (or anyone who saw a lot of the Hitmen) would agree that there are some big holes in other parts of Postma's game.

I mean, there's a reason why a guy who's 6'3" and has his kind of offensive skills was a 7th round pick and not a higher pick. Defensively he's a real adventure sometimes. He got away with it in Calgary last year because the team was so good. He'll have more trouble in the pros.

That being said, I disagree with Mike that he'll be back. Defensive shortcomings or not, Atlanta is going to put this guy in the AHL next year and let him learn there. The Thrashers have one of the worst blueline groups ever assembled in the NHL, they need to start getting defence prospects through the system and into the NHL.

And Sonne is definitely long gone. He's an excellent two-way player with no big flaws in his game, he is ready for the pro ranks.

Broda, you can make a 50/50 case for him coming back simply because the Capitals don't need to sign him for another year and they don't need him in their system yet either, which is deep in good prospects. They can afford to throw him back into juniors for another year and say "round out your game some more", or something like that. Personally I think he'll move on but it's a realistic possibility that he'll be back too.

Anonymous said...

Nielsen was Seattle's captain in Hickey's absence last year, both at the beginning of the season and during World Juniors. Both he and Richard got hurt late last season and missed lots of time. But I think Nielsen will stay with the T-birds this coming season and wear the "C".

Anonymous said...

I agree with the last comment, I think Schapps is gonna be the one left out. He is a good defenseman, but as a 20 I'm not so sure. It would surprise me to see them trade one of the three forwards for a younger defenseman, however, in which case they might just keep Schapps.

Anonymous said...

Apparently the 'Tips picked up two overagers..
Former PG Cougs Alex Poulter and Colin Scherger.

N. W. Bruin said...

Basford didn't play in the playoff games once he came back from his mother's death. He was scratched regularly so I thinks Rodgers or maybe Toigo (if he returns) will be ahead of him. If Toigo doesn't I have a feeling the Giants bring in another O/A from another team to go with Funk and Nunn.

N.W. Bruin