Sunday, June 14, 2009

Clarification

OK....I've gotten four emails and three comment posts now about what I said about Jordan Staal in the last post. None of those seven bits of correspondence were very complimentary, so allow me to elaborate on my position for the reading impaired.

I DON'T CARE THAT STAAL WAS DRINKING. I said as much. Read it again if that part confused you the first time. I don't care if he drank a case of it and then got carried to his hotel at 6am by a dozen strippers. Heck, I hope he did.....he won the Stanley Cup, he should be celebrating.

What I meant was, for a guy who already has an underage drinking rap against him, I was surprised that neither he, the team, or the (sometimes) image-conscious NHL, was very conscientious about him doing his celebrating while the cameras were rolling. And that's all I meant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All we (our posts) meant was ... we don't care either... let the kid celebrate...it's socially acceptable...not like they really drink it...why mention it if you don't care...

Alan said...

It's a P.R. thing. You and I (and a lot of other people) don't care if he's drinking, but there are people out there who do care. So I was just surprised that the league wasn't taking more care to avoid any potential P.R. black eye they might get out of what should be a big P.R. win for the league, having a team with so many stars like the Penguins win the Cup.

The NHL has been largely untouched by the P.R. problems that the NFL, NBA, and MLB have had in the last 5-10 years with off-field criminal issues, steroids, etc. I just thought they'd be watching out for things, that's all.