Not a classic game seven but it wasn't a bad game....I didn't think it was the most chock-full-of-excitement games ever, it was a somewhat cautiously played game, but at least it was close throughout and it had exciting finish when Detroit made it a one goal game and then hit the crossbar with three minutes left. Coupled with the usual game-seven excitement level, it made for an entertaining game I guess. Going in, I was sure the Wings were going to win this one but the Penguins did a great job of shutting down the Detroit attack and getting a couple timely goals themselves. Pens played the entire third period without Crosby too, and still hung on.
Lots of people don't like Crosby or the Penguins and I do understand why that is....I'm not the guy's biggest fan myself either. But he and Malkin and the rest of his teammates are a very, very good team with some very, very good players. They deserved the win tonight.
Lots of young guys on the Penguins too, which was made more obvious by the number of them who were holding 2, 3, 4 year old kids during their post-game interviews. If it were the veteran Wings who had won, we'd be seeing teenagers mugging for the cameras and trying to act cool by pretending they didn't know their dads and were embarrassed to be seen with them.
OK, I kid.
One other age-related note though, anyone see Jordan Staal swigging champagne on TV? Well, Staal is not yet legal drinking age in Michigan - he doesn't turn 21 until September. This is a guy who already got in trouble for underage drinking two years ago at his brother Eric's bachelor party in Minnesota.
Don't get me wrong, I personally don't give a crap since he's only 3 months from being 21 and he IS legal everywhere in his native Canada and almost everywhere else in the world too. But for a guy who got in legal trouble over this already, you'd think he would be wary of the cameras catching him in the act again.
2 comments:
Pope Caldwell, it non-alcoholic, RELAX.
Firstly Alan, you did an exceptional job on the prospects. It had to have taken a lot of your time so kudos to you. I read your blog daily and it is unquestionably the most in depth blog on the WHL that I have seen. Keep up the good work.
Secondly, I agree that the series for the most part and the final game were well, kind of boring. Who says the TRAP is not alive and well. I don't like the Euro All-Stars (AKA: Detroit) and cant say I am much of a Pittsburgh fan either. I'm glad they won but only by .00001% and that it is mercifully over. I don't think it was much of a showcase for the NHL. 2-1 games are still alive and well in the NHL.
306 Guy
Post a Comment