Couple things today...
First, the Giants and Oil Kings made a trade yesterday, the Oil Kings sending 19 year old forward Michael Burns to the Giants for the rights to 16 year old forward Landon Robin, who was already assigned back to AAA midget by the Giants earlier this fall.
Usually trades of 19 year olds for 16 year olds are conducted between teams that are loading up for title runs and teams that are stocking the cupboard for the future. So, it looks as though the Giants are serious about being one of the top teams in the league again this year when they're giving up a 16 year old prospect for a 19 year old forward with 10 goals to his career. The return of Craig Cunningham as an overager certainly can't hurt that cause either.
And the other noteworthy bit of news today is that the Pittsburgh Penguins have assigned overage import goaltender Alex Pechurskiy back to the Tri-City Americans. The Ams are now probably in a position where they'll have to trade one of their goaltenders, since it doesn't seem very likely that Pechurskiy and 19 year old Drew Owsley are going to want to split the playing time in net again like they did last season.
The Ams are OK on the import front since Nikita Nesterov has yet to show up, so they only have two imports even with Pechurskiy's return. But Pechurskiy does bump the number of overagers in Americans camp up to four, so somebody's going to have to go before October 15. Moving Pechurskiy solves both the goaltending and overage logjams, but he's also harder to move, as a two-spot player.
Oh, and Anaheim has assigned Emerson Etem back to Medicine Hat. Am I the only one who is a little bit surprised by this move? I thought for sure he would get a longer stay from the Ducks than this. I didn't think he would make the team at 18 but I thought he would stick around until closer to the season at least.
3 comments:
You likely saw this comment from NW Bruin on the WHL Message Board. To me it looks more like filling in gaps due to injuries than making a run for it by giving up a prospect.
They reassigned a sixteen year old forward so only going with two. With Cunningham at Boston's camp and whether he returns is up in the air plus injured Redmond (January) and Burns (November) they are going to go with 12 forwards, 7 defencemen (plus injured Hodder) and 3 goalies to start the season. Hope there is no more injuries.
Hitmen212
When are you going to post your 10-11 predictions? I find them very interesting.
My 10-11 predictions will probably be done sometime in early October.
Last year I waited until a few games into the season because it allows for the teams to settle their rosters a bit and I think that leads to better predictions. So, I will be doing that again this year.
Post a Comment