Wednesday, December 3, 2008

WJC invites announced

Hockey Canada has invited 38 players to the World Junior tryout camp. Roster is here.

Three of the four goalies are WHLers, so at least one of the goalies on the final team will be from the WHL. 6 of 14 defencemen are WHLers and one more is a WHL prospect playing in the NCAA. 9 of 20 forwards are WHLers and one more is a WHL prospect in the NCAA. So all told, the WHL is going to be well represented on this year's WJC team, I think.

5 comments:

Hitmen212 said...

I need some help understanding this.

The top three point scorers in the WHL aren't worthy of an invitation? And in fact not a single skater from any of the top four teams in the Dub right now has been invited - Vanc, Calg, Tri and Sktn?

Are these teams leading the WHL by some fluke?

Who picks these teams? Is it based on last year's performance or what they are doing right now?

I understand tough choices have to be made but young men who work hard and show results should be rewarded with the opportunity to try out at the very least.

You are right Alan, there are quite a few WHLer's on the roster. I'm just not sure they are the right ones.

Alan said...

Vancouver (Kane) and Calgary (Sonne) each have one player invited.

Many of the other leading scorers on CGY, SAS, TRI, and VAN are either not Canadians or are overagers, so they weren't eligible to be chosen.

I'm a little surprised they didn't give an invite to Elliott of the Blades, but he's also only 17 and it's not common for Canada to invite many players under age 18 to this thing.

Hitmen212 said...

I see now I was looking at the "Development Camp" as opposed to the "December Camp".

Glad to see Sonne and Kane added to the list but Sktn and Tri are still shut out.

None the less I wish the team all the success in the World Championships!

Go for the Gold!

Alan said...

To clarify....I meant Vancouver has one SKATER invited, Kane. With goalie Sexsmith they have two players total.

Anonymous said...

I cant Belive John Negrin from the Ice was not invited. To me he is a shoe in for an invite at the very least this year. Every time Ive watched this guy, he dangles in and around both zones better than most forwards, and is plain and simply the best passer I have ever seen. he can put it through anywhere, its amzing. a 3rd time snub? BS! And sylvester is as good or better than alot of guys on that list as well. But lets not make this a kootenay thing.