Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Ineligible player

Here's something you only see in the NHL every couple years, if even that.

Montreal's Ryan White (good WHL boy there too!) was forced to leave last night's game against the Ottawa Senators after four shifts in the first period, because it was discovered that Montreal had never properly notified the NHL that they were recalling White from the AHL earlier in the day.

Thus, White was not on Montreal's official NHL roster and not eligible to play in the game. Had the Canadiens scored while White was on the ice, the goal would have been taken away.

Happens from time to time....not a common thing though. I do remember it happening in the WHL at one game I attended about 12 or 13 years ago. I think it was Saskatoon that was affected and as it turned out their coach had written down the wrong name when it came to his goaltenders, and the guy who started the game for them wasn't on the game sheet so he had to leave the game about halfway through the first period.

No comments: