Tuesday, December 1, 2009

To suspend or not to suspend....

Seems like the hotly-debated hockey story this morning is that of whether or not the Florida Panthers' Keith Ballard deserves a suspension from the league for his moronic actions last night.

So far, opinion that I've seen/read seems to be split - some say No because it was his own teammate who was injured, plus there was no intent on his part to do what actually transpired. Then there's the Yes side, who point out that swinging a stick baseball style is a very bad idea, whether you injure someone or have any intent to injure someone or not.

What do you think? Have your say in the comments.

Me, I see - and agree - with both sides of the argument. Overall though, I do think Ballard deserves a suspension. Not a long one, but something in the 1-2 game range or thereabouts. If he had hit an opponent in the head like that, we wouldn't be talking about whether to suspend him. We'd be talking about whether he'd be eligible to play again before he's old and grey. Yes, he hit a teammate instead....but why is that less bad of an outcome? He did something stupid and somebody got hurt. I think there needs to be a message sent that swinging your stick baseball style is not acceptable whether you hit somebody or not. So, a couple games will do. IMO anyway.

As an aside, this exact same thing happened just six months ago at the World Championships, although thankfully in that case the goalie was not injured.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that you are correct. Ballard needs a wake up call. Even though the swing was in frustration, he still injured another player with his actions. I understand the frustration that he felt getting beat out of the zone like that and I am sure he feels remorse for injuring his own goalie, but it could have been much worse and that type of tantrum should not be displayed in this level of hockey.

Fratelli said...

I think in the 5-8 game range for suspension is warranted...

Paul said...

I hope one of his teammates pummeled him in the locker after the game.

SectionNDeserter said...

Kyle Beach was suspended last season for throwing his stick into the crowd in anger at the conclusion of a game, after his team had lost the game. None of his teammates were injured by this action as well (aside from their pride, for having to be associated with him), nor was anyone seriously injured. He received a suspension for it (game or two as I recall), and I think you would be hard pressed to find a noticeable split in the number of people in the debate as to whether or not he should have been suspended then. I really don't see any difference between this and the Ballard situation, except Ballard injured someone with his outburst of anger.

Unknown said...

Nah, no suspension because it sets a silly precedent. If you suspend Ballard for accidentally striking his teammate while smashing his stick on the post, then you have to, from then on, suspend each and every player who breaks their stick on the post, crossbar, boards, glass, or stomp on them on the bench out of frustration, regardless of whether or not they cause an injury. Because that's what Ballard was doing, smashing his stick out of frustration. It's a little bit of humanity in a game that too often comes across as sterile.

It was a mistake. You can see on his face that he clearly felt absolutely horrible about it. He and Vokoun sat together on the plane ride home. No suspension needed.