You can see the traded picks, etc....in the WHL, Everett has Regina's first rounder (17th overall), Moose Jaw has Brandon's first rounder (53rd overall), and Regina has Vancouver's first rounder (59th overall, 2nd last in the first round). So Everett and Moose Jaw have two first round picks while Brandon and Vancouver don't have one at all.
By my count, the number of picks each WHL team will be able to make this year, unless they trade/drop some of their existing imports first:
Brandon: 1
Calgary: 2
Chilliwack: 1
Edmonton: 0
Everett: 2
Kamloops: 1
Kelowna: 1
Kootenay: 1
Lethbridge: 1
Medicine Hat: 1
Moose Jaw: 2
Portland: 2
Prince Albert: 0
Prince George: 0
Red Deer: 0
Regina: 1
Saskatoon: 1
Seattle: 1
Spokane: 1
Swift Current: 1
Tri-City: 1
Vancouver: 0
Remember, overage imports do not count towards your two-import limit during the summer, so some of these teams may have '89 imports who could return as overagers next year, but that doesn't stop them from drafting new ones anyway; you are allowed to have up to two 17-19 year old imports on your roster even if you have some overage ones too. They just have to be down to two imports total on their roster by the overage deadline in early October, that's all.
10 comments:
Chilliwack acquired Edmonton's 1st round pick on bantam draft day for some reason apparently so either they'll be dealing it to another team or else Viklund won't be back, I could see Brandon going after that pick if there's a top notch euro that they can get for the memorial cup run.
Chilliwack acquired Edmonton's first round pick, 23rd overall in a bantam draft day deal.
The Rebels will be taking 2 new euros. Tomas Polak left the team last year, and it does not sound like Kivisto wants to come back as he is "exploring other options"
Sorry but so many of these guys don't turn out woth crap...I would much rather see the CHL teams go down to one euro and add an extra overager. Over the years I have seen overagers have to go to Tier 2 because of numbers. Thes guys would have scored 20 + goals in the Dub. Insted teams go with some euro who scores 8 times...not right!
Is it quicker to type DUB than WHL?
Overagers can't play in the WHL. If a player is 20 he is not too old and thusly not an overager.
Ah, but overagers DO play in the WHL. "Junior" is an age group for hockey in the Hockey Canada development model. The age limit for junior is 19 years old, so therefore the 20 year old players are indeed "over age" for junior hockey.
how about any combination of 5 "overagers" and euros?
I've always liked imports, even when there have been a few that don't turn out, we saw some this year that got released during the year and others that didn't show up or they did but weren't like top 6 forwards or top 4 among the d-men however I still like watching the imports that do come over and do well. I'd leave it at 2.
You of course are right Alan..20 yr olds are in fact "overage". Each team can keep only three. In the tier 2 junior loops you can pretty much buy a team of 20 yr olds. In the CHL there are I believe 66 teams. If each team used 2 euros that would translate into 132 Canadian/USA kids that don't get to play major junior in Canada. There are lot more 20 yr old who sign contracts after a good 20 yr old season. i.e Rypien, McCue and many more. When you bring a euro over and he is a 3rd or 4th line player, what good is that? I am all for 1 more overage and 1 less euro.
When it gets to the point that the players willing to come over aren't good enough to crack a WHL roster they teams will obviouisly fill the roster out with a North American player. As long as you are good enough to make the roster you should be on the team. AS a fan it does not matter to me. I want to see the best players regardless of their origin. I'd like to see limits of any kind removed all together. I guess I'd prefer to see the best hockey regardless of if it benefits North American or Canadian players.
-juva
Post a Comment