Friday, September 18, 2009

Season opener

Well, last night's game certainly didn't lack for entertainment, although I'm sure that neither coach is particularily pleased with his team's defensive play or goaltending.

There were 19 rookies in the lineups last night - basically half the players in the game - and I thought inexperience was evident on both sides. There were a lot of defensive breakdowns and some pretty shoddy goaltending at times at both ends as well. It's not a game that Adam Brown or especially Jamie Tucker are going to want on their highlight films.

Stepan Novotny had four goals for the Rockets, which means this is the 2nd year in a row that a player has scored four goals in the season-opening game on Shaw. Last year Michael Stickland did it for the Ice against the Chiefs. Hopefully Novotny's stick doesn't go cold the way Stickland's did after his big night - Stickland only managed 2 goals in his next 19 games last year after his big opener.

Eight more games on the slate tonight, with four other teams waiting until tomorrow to get the season started....

And with all the references flying around to Novotny being on pace for 288 goals this year, I thought I would offer up this projection of the final standings in the West:

GPWLOTLSOLPTS
Vancouver7272000144
Kelowna720007272
Chilliwack000000
Everett000000
Kamloops000000
Portland000000
Prince George000000
Seattle000000
Spokane000000
Tri-Cities000000

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

geez...was there any positives from the game?

Alan said...

It was entertaining....I think I said that. My comments on the defensive shortcomings were merely a follow-up to the notion that the coaches would probably not be pleased with the way things went. Find me a coach who's happy when his team gives up 5 or 6 goals.

Anonymous said...

I think Kelonwa will be happy with 72 points, that should get then in the playoffs

Anonymous said...

great blog buddy your standings are close,but everett will drop, portland will rise.tri-cities stuck in the bottom,poor hiring of coach,team will go nowhere.yes those 2 teams do pride themselfs on defence,but it was the first gm of the year.

Hitmen212 said...

Your humour is lost on anonymous #3 Alan. He/she may be alphabetically challenged.

Anonymous said...

Need an update now the season is about a week old already.