Wednesday, June 15, 2011

AGM concludes

The WHL has concluded its annual AGM meetings, with two noteworthy decisions:

  • the 2013 Memorial Cup bidders have been reduced to a shortlist of Kelowna, Red Deer, and Saskatoon. So one of those three cities will host the 2012-13 Memorial Cup. The league will hear the bids on October 11 of this year and presumably announce a winner shortly thereafter. Lethbridge and Prince George were also bidding but it looks like their bids may have been considered inadequate for some reasons.
  • adoption of a "seven point plan" to address and reduce hits to the head. This will include new rules (details not announced) plus more severe punishment for offenders, and what sounds like the elimination of so-called "hard cap" shoulder and elbow pads. 

I think we can all agree that reduction of hits to the head is a good goal to work towards. I just want to see what their ideas for new rules are first before I form an opinion on this plan. The increased punishment for repeat offenders is a good idea though and I also really like the idea of eliminating the hard plastic pads, provided the soft-capped pads still provide enough protection for players' shoulders and elbows of course. I'm not qualified to judge whether that's the case though.

As far as the Memorial Cup....right now I would have to put my money on Red Deer winning. I am honestly surprised that Kelowna is on the short list since they just hosted the thing in 2004. I don't think that by itself should disqualify them from bidding again but I do also think it's important to share this tournament around the league as much as possible. We don't want to get into a habit of hosting it in the same 4-5 places over and over again.

As for Saskatoon, they have the best facility for the tournament (size-wise) but if I were the league I would have some questions about the calibre of on-ice product the Blades are going to have in 2012-13 since they traded their 2010, 2011, and 2012 first and second round bantam picks (only first in 2012, I know) in the Schenn deal. That's going to hurt their depth (though those players will/would only be 16 & 17 in 2012-13, not necessarily key performers), but more importantly it will hurt their ability to trade to address weaknesses - something you'd expect from teams with guaranteed Cup berths.

But if the Blades can show they'll have a strong group of 18 - 20 years olds in 2012-13, I see no reason why they shouldn't be considered worthy hosts as well....

No comments: