Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ex-dubbers win the Cup

By now everyone knows the Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup last night in Vancouver. By my count, five former WHLers will be getting their names inscribed on the Cup:

Johnny Boychuk (Calgary Hitmen & Moose Jaw Warriors, 1st Cup win)
Zdeno Chara (Prince George Cougars, 1st Cup win)
Andrew Ference (Portland Winterhawks, 1st Cup win)
Milan Lucic (Vancouver Giants, 1st Cup win)
Mark Recchi (New Westminster Bruins & Kamloops Blazers, 3rd Cup win)

Shane Hnidy (Swift Current & Prince Albert) played a few games for the Bruins and was on the ice to celebrate last night but he does not meet the NHL's criteria to get his name on the trophy.

There are probably other WHL alumni in off-ice roles in the Bruins organization (such as Cam Neely) but I'm only listing the active players here.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe Zach Hamill (Everett) also played a few games for the Bruins this year (and is not eligible for engraving).

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Johnny Boychuk and thaks for the shoutout to the MJ Warriors when being interviewed by Scott Oake.
Kevin H.

Anonymous said...

I thought I also saw Trent Whitfield on the ice for Boston, but I don't think he actually played a playoff game?