Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tuesday notes

Been away for a few days, which is why no posts.....

I see Scott Gabriel has declined to join the Regina Pats after they claimed him on waivers from the Winter Hawks. Apparently Gabriel just wants to stay at home in Edmonton and play for the Jr A Sherwood Park Crusaders in the AJHL. Can't really blame the guy I guess, he has played his entire junior career so far away from home up until now, and if he's not really a good pro candidate then continued higher exposure the WHL offers probably doesn't matter to him. Better to stay close to home, play in front of family and friends every night, etc.....something he probably didn't get to do much of playing in Portland. Might even be able to start classes at the University of Alberta too, etc.

And I hear Jadon Potter of the Bruins broke some vertebrae in his neck in an incident on the weekend which saw him slide headfirst into the boards. 6-8 weeks in a hard neck brace and no guarantee he can play hockey again. This is certainly one of the most serious injuries we've seen in the WHL in several years (thankfully!) and you never like to see kids get hurt like that. Bumps and bruises and sprains are part of the game but broken necks, that's horrible stuff. Hopefully Potter makes a full recovery and IS able to resume his career (if he wants to).

And a QMJHL note now, we go back to the "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" file again and more stupidity from the Patrick Roy family. This time it's younger son Frederick, who has been suspended 15 games for cross-checking an opponent in the face on Friday night in a QMJHL game. You can see the incident here. This is hockey's first family of dirtbags....never mind whether they're good hockey players or not, they're clearly all prone to loss of self-control on the ice. The older brother, Jonathan, is already facing criminal charges stemming from the brawl last spring and now there's some suggestion that Frederick could get hit with a charge over this incident too. Daddy must be so proud of the boys.

As an aside, I notice none of Roy's victim (Vincent Bourgeois)'s teammates came to his aid as the little weasel skated away like nothing happened after the incident. Thank the QMJHL's new rules on brawling for that....in the old days, Frederick Roy would have been eating through a straw for six weeks after the opposition got through with him and he'd never do such a thing again. I'm NOT a proponent of uncontrolled brawling and such idiocy in the game, but there has to be some leeway given for the players to police themselves in such incidents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100 percent about the Roy boys and their daddy Pat, all 3 are a disgrace to hockey, how is it that the boys get to play for their old mans team, maybe the old man drafted them himself knowing no one else would want them or was it the luck of the draw.

Alan said...

Frederick Roy was drafted by the Remparts in the QMJHL draft, while Jonathan was originally drafted by Victoriaville but later acquired by the Remparts.

So they were both acquired by the team honestly....whether anyone else would have wanted them or not, who knows.