Monday, March 18, 2013

First round predictions


Take a shot at this here....

Edmonton vs Kootenay: Edmonton in four

Edmonton is too good. I know Kootenay has been hot but Edmonton has still been better in the same time span. Plus Edmonton is defending champs, lots of playoff experience there. They won't be blowout losses but I don't see Kootenay winning a game.

Medicine Hat vs Saskatoon: Saskatoon in five

If the Tigers get some goaltending I think they can give the Blades a bit more of a tussle than this. And you never know with Memorial Cup hosts, just how much fire is in the belly if things get tough and they know they have something to fall back on. I just don't think the Tigers have the goaltending, Lanigan or no Lanigan.

Swift Current vs Calgary: Calgary in six

If I wasn't a homer I would seriously be tempted to pick this as my big first round upset. I think Swift matches up very well against Calgary and also have the edge in net - and goaltending is so important in the playoffs. Calgary's edge is having better depth at every position. They'll need to use it and wear the Broncos' top guys down. Could be a tough, physical series.

Prince Albert vs Red Deer: Red Deer in six.

Red Deer is starting to really hum along at just the right time of year. Meanwhile, Prince Albert has been struggling for a few months now. No reason to see that changing, especially not when Red Deer has (statistically anyway) the best starting goaltender in the entire WHL. 

Everett vs Portland: Portland in four.

Do we really need to go into this one? Isn't "twice as good" enough of an explanation?

Seattle vs Kelowna: Kelowna in five

I was all set to call this one a sweep too, then I heard that Colton Sissons is out for the Rockets, likely for the rest of the season. Losing your #1 center has to hurt and I'll give the Thunderbirds one close game as a result.....maybe a fluky OT win kind of thing. But it's not going to change the overall outcome of this series at all.

Victoria vs Kamloops: Kamloops in four

Victoria's leading scorer is out for the series and there's some question about the health of their starting goaltender too. And they've been kicked out of their home rink for the entire round as well. Things are going from slim to dim here for the Royals. 

Tri-City vs Spokane: Spokane in six. 

This could have been my upset pick. In fact it would not surprise me at all to see the Americans take this one - Troy Trombley has looked really good in stealing the #1 goaltending job after coming in as an emergency backup after Eric Comrie went down and if Spokane can't solve him, he could steal games. But Spokane has been playing well lately and have home ice advantage to boot, so I have to go with the Chiefs. But I'm covering my ass by saying an Americans win wouldn't be surprising here either!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think the T-bird/Rocket series can be a good one if the T-birds can stay out of the penalty box. They are playing pretty well in even strength situations for March. All but I think four of their players are even or better for March. Considering that most of the team is -20+ for the season that is a pretty good turn around.

The T-birds are also ending the season scoring some goals, 17 goals in the last week (3 games). They also finished with two very intense games with Portland so I think they will be ready for that part of the playoff game.

I'm so excited to listen to Friday's and Saturday's games. After missing the playoffs three seasons in a row I hope the T-birds can find a way to play more than two home games.