Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Third round predictions

The third round matchups are set now, after Vancouver eliminated Portland last night in six games. Vancouver will visit Tri-Cities in the Western Conference final, while Brandon will visit Calgary in the Eastern Conference final.

I didn't make 2nd round predictions since I was on my vacation when the first round ended and the second round started. Looking back, I went 6-2 in the first round, with my two wrong picks being Everett and Spokane. Although, I did say Spokane in seven so I got the games right there at least, and it went to OT....can't get much closer than that and still be wrong.

So now, the fearless third round picks....

Looking at the regular season results for both of these series, you see that one team was clearly better than the other in their four head-to-head to meetings.

Calgary vs Brandon:
Oct 7: Hitmen 4 at Wheat Kings 3 (SO)
Nov 20: Hitmen 2 at Wheat Kings 5
Jan 29: Wheat Kings 6 at Hitmen 3
Feb 15: Wheat Kings 4 at Hitmen 2

Tri-City vs Vancouver:
Oct 17: Americans 5 at Giants 3
Nov 6: Giants 2 at Americans 8
Jan 22: Giants 2 at Americans 4
Feb 6: Americans 5 at Giants 4 (SO)

You can see that Vancouver did not beat Tri-City at all this year, although they did get a loser point for taking one game to a shootout. And the Hitmen only beat Brandon once, and that was in a shootout in about the 5th game of the season.

I'm going to have to go with those results in making my picks too. I would have picked Brandon and Tri-City to win the series anyway, but seeing the head-to-head results only makes me more sure of what will happen: Tri-City in five, and Brandon in six.

And if those results come to pass, then of course this will make Tri-City fans doubly happy, since Brandon winning the East will mean that the West champion gets an automatic berth into the Memorial Cup regardless of who wins the WHL final.

That would be Tri-City's first ever Memorial Cup appearance.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Giants/Ams series is closer than you give it credit for. Yes TC won all four games. But, the Giants blew 2 third period leads on Oct 17 and Feb 6. Giants starting goalie Mark Segal only played against TC in one game Feb 6. Vancouver is a completely differant team than the team that played on Oct 17 and Nov 6 due to trades.

Bottom line TC was a better team in the regular season. This series will be going 6 or 7.

Anonymous said...

Are you high? Vancouver should have never made it out of the second round if it was not for the ref's. Yet alone vancouver should not even be in the play-offs. The west should be ONE division and that said THE giants are OUT.
I hope for a TC in a sweep. Giants are way over-rated. I will also say that TC scores 5 plus goals a game! Oh wait unless the refs homer them also.

Anonymous said...

A disgruntled Winterhawks fan with poor sportsmanship complex perhaps?

The Tri City/Vancouver series should be a good one.

Anonymous said...

Tri in the Cup in Manitoba would be quite attractive as I believe half the roster consists of Manitobans. They will be pumped to make it to Manitoba!

Anonymous said...

probably Andy Kemper .....

Trainnut78 said...

I will say this the Americans in the second round of the playoffs were a much better team than they were in the second half of the regular season. Their penalty kill against Kelowna was about 90%. Add to that that they were way outshot in both games in Kelowna but still won both. I don't think that Vancouver will be a walk over but I still believe the odds are well in the American's favor.