Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thursday notes

I'm back....been back a couple days actually but I've begun working on preparing for the bantam draft which goes April 29 - just three weeks from today.

I've got stats from the bantam leagues in Alberta, Saskatchewan (except Saskatoon) and Manitoba as well as a bunch of tournament statistics for those teams plus teams from B.C.....finding rosters and season stats for B.C. and Saskatoon bantam teams is always a problem though so if you have any you want to share with me, it is always appreciated. My e-mail is on the side there.

Couple other notes today.....

First, 2009 Everett first round bantam pick Seth Jones has apparently committed to playing for the U.S. National Team Development Program's U-17 team next year instead of for the Silvertips as a 16 year old. This is usually, although not always, an indication that a player intends to pursue the NCAA route. Perhaps Jones plans to play for the USNTDP only one year and then jump to Everett at 17. But I'm thinking that is probably not the plan....so unless the Silvertips can change his mind, Jones is probably going the way of Luke Moffatt and the WHL will never see him. I'm sure this isn't a surprise for Everett.....they acknowledged at the time of the draft that picking Jones was a gamble.

Also, NHL Central Scouting released their final rankings for the 2010 NHL draft yesterday. I do not understand how they can release "final" rankings already when so many important playoff games remain for many prospects, as well as the World U-18 championships later this month. These are key times in making final determinations on prospects, seeing how they perform in the playoffs and against the best in the world in their age group. Oh well.

Anyway, there are four WHLers in their top 10 North American skaters ranking - the Cougars' Brett Connolly is #3, Edmonton's Mark Pysyk is #7, Medicine Hat's Emerson Etem is #8, and Portland's Ryan Johansen is #10.

Personally, I am very surprised that Connolly is #3 after missing most of this season with a hip injury. Usually being hurt for that long doesn't help your draft status since the scouts don't see you and of course serious injuries always raise their own concerns. But obviously CSB's scouts saw enough of Connolly last year as a 16 year old to keep him ranked right up there with Hall and Seguin even though he only played 16 games this year.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes and not coming to the WHL has worked wonders for Luke "Ranked in the 100s" Moffat.

I am not sure why Jones is going to the u17s. He would be heading to a very good Everitt team with a great coach. He would end up helping his draft stock.

Trav said...

Alan, are you planning on doing live up dates of the bantam draft like u did last year? U did an amazing job last year with providing all the stats and even providing some info on players, look forward to seeing u do that again.

Anonymous said...

back to one update a week during the most important time of the year. don't strain yourself too much

Alan said...

Trav - yes, I will be doing that again for the draft. Just getting my stats and stuff together right now.

And Anonymous - maybe if you left a name instead of the drive-by potshots, I might care about your opinion of my posting frequency. You know nothing about what else is going on in my life outside of this blog.

Trav said...

Great, thanks Alan, looking forward to the draft.

By the way, you've done a great job with your blog, I come around pretty much every day, you provide a ton of info on the WHL. Keep it up.

As for those of you that wanna criticize him for taking a much deserved break, GET A LIFE!!

Anonymous said...

Good job Alan. Looking forward to your Bantam information that you'll share.

Anonymous said...

Alan,

To put it simply I love hockey.

I have a favorite team of course, but truth be told I love any and all levels of hockey. That's why I have been and remain impressed by your knowledge, the time and energy you put into your blog, and the humanity you reveal to your readers. You are who you are and it's refreshing.

I appreciate you very much and want to thank you for ALL that you do for me as a hockey fiend in Oregon.

I will continue to read your blog and support you.

The world is a better place because of you. I know your family understands this fact too.

Kudos to you for knowing how to balance the many areas of your life and knowing when to ignore unpleasant and disrespectful people.

Susan