Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tuesday things

Both WHL semi-finals get back underway with game 3's tonight.....Vancouver and Brandon will try to capitalize tonight on the home ice advantage they wrested away from Tri-City and Calgary on the weekend.

In other news - as was (unfortunately) expected, the Canadian entry at the World U-18s missed the medal round and can finish no higher than 7th. In fact, they have two games left - against Latvia and Slovakia - and they must win one of those two games to avoid being relegated to the B pool for next season. Relegation to the B pool at any level of the sport would be a massive humiliation for the reigning Olympic champions. I think the last time Canada was seriously in danger of being relegated at an IIHF event was the 1998 World Juniors when they finished 8th out of 10 countries - behind even Kazakhstan.

Personally, I think they better focus on beating Latvia tomorrow because I'd hate to be in a must-win situation against a decent hockey country like Slovakia....

Meanwhile, the Telus Cup Canadian AAA midget championships are underway in Levis, Quebec. The Notre Dame Hounds won their first game yesterday, defeating the other prairie entry, the Red Deer Optimist Rebels. Unfortunately for the Rebels, I see they have lost their 2nd game this morning as well, to the Ontario champs, the Mississauga Reps. That probably puts Red Deer into a must-win situation for their last three games if they want to make the four-team playoffs.

No comments: