Friday, September 19, 2008

Game on!

Season is underway with Kootenay's 4-2 win over the Chiefs tonight. Couple notes after watching the game on Shaw....

First, the attendance was embarrassing for the Ice and the city of Cranbrook. Officially announced at 2,845, entire sections of the lower bowl were visibly empty on the broadcast. For the season and home opener. Against the Memorial Cup champions. When the team has exercised a clause that allows them out of their lease if attendance doesn't meet standards this season. One word: embarrassing. If the Ice ever end up moving (and I hope they don't), it's nights like this that many fans of other teams around the league will remember - TV broadcasts of a mostly empty building.

As for the game itself, it looks like Ray Ferraro's 25 year old WHL record for goals in a season (104 goals in 83-84) will finally be broken this year. After his four goal performance tonight, Kootenay's Michael Stickland is on pace for 288 goals this year. Even allowing for a few slumps, he should be able to hit 104 no problem.

I was quite surprised at how much the Ice outplayed the Chiefs for stretches of the game. I mean, I get that the Chiefs were missing some key players like Bowman, Johnson, Spurgeon, Roman, etc (plus Falk and McCrae, but those two might not be coming back anyway), but Kootenay also played without Negrin, Sylvester, and Lazaruk, and with only two overagers due to Ian Barteaux being suspended. In fact, I believe the Ice dressed four defencemen who were making their WHL debuts in this game. I thought for sure Spokane would be more competitive than they were. But hey, it's only one game, who cares.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although 2845 fans is disappointing I think to use the word embarrassing is a bit much. A Thursday night game (school night), 27 degrees at game time, and telivised. Please keep in mind that Cranbrook has a population of 20,000. There is no upper bowl. You suggest the building was mostly empty,the seating capicity is 4360, although only 65% full I do not think it is embarrassing. The clause for the right to leave Cranbrook is that the team must average less than 2800 paid fans this year. What did Prince George average last year ? The City and the Ice are negotiating at this time re the clause.

bj

Jeff said...

I'll agree with bj, Al. I didn't listen to the broadcast last night but I imagine Dan and Bill made note of it all night long. It's an issue, yes and with some work and some ingenuitive marketing (which doesn't happen here) I think it'll work out. Funny, though, when Shaw's in PA, Moose Jaw or Swift and there's 2200-2500 nobody says a word. Sure their buildings are comparatively smaller but the markets are also comparatively the same. By the same logic those buildings should be sold out every night.

JB

Alan said...

My point is more that the circumstances dictated a good crowd should show up and we didn't see one.

Yes, it was a weeknight and the weather was nice, etc. But it was still the season opener (usually a big crowd everywhere) and the best team in the CHL last year was the opponent.

Add the fact that the team has invoked the attendance clause and I'd think there would be more pressure on fans to attend. Saying "oh, they're not going to leave, it's a tactic, they're renegotiating even now" is a dangerous attitude for fans to take. If too many people believe that, an otherwise-deserving community can easily lose their team.

Jeff said...

Point taken, but (as a column I'm working on will point out)I grow tired of the Ice not doing anything over and above the norm marketing-wise to get butts in the seats. Besides the obligatory programs they do nothing out of the ordinary to attract new, young fans. Family packs are available but only on school/work nights; there are no programs for shift workers other than the already offered flex packs - most of this valley works a shift and won't committ to a season ticket if they can only see 50-55% of the games; kids' prices are $10 - so If I'm a big fan it'll cost me $20 (two kids) plus just to bring them. That or a pay a sitter. My point is that they club has done lots on the ice but little off of it. It's a two-way street and you don't see the Ice walking in that direction. As a business Chynoweth talks about a minimum return on his (Ed's) investment but if the forestry sector (big here, hit hard) packed up and left because they didn't achieve a 15% return every year we wouldn't have much of a community.
Why put it on a Thursday? It cost him 300 fans, easy. Not sound business thinking - the honouring of Ed notwithstandin.

JB