It's here....after the always-too-long summer and a month of training camp, the WHL season starts tonight in Cranbrook. Some notes for today....
NHL scout Mike Remmerde has updated his blog with his early-season list of WHL and western Jr A players that many NHL scouts will be keeping an eye on, at least to start the season.
I didn't get the Central division preview done in time to post yesterday; it'll be done today. And if I have time, I'll add the B.C. division today as well but only if I can get it done. Otherwise that one will come tomorrow, with the U.S. division coming either tomorrow too, or Saturday.
The camp rosters post is still being updated as best as I can - you'll have to scroll down a bit to find it, but it's still there. I've started taking names off the NHL camp lists as they are reassigned to the WHL as well.
From looking at the roster Lethbridge has posted on their website, it looks like 2007 1st round pick (18th overall) Mark Reners may have been cut. I believe he is the only 2007 1st rounder to have been cut this year. Luke Moffatt (Kelowna) never reported and Brandon Regier (Brandon) retired but otherwise, the other 19 first round picks are all poised to be in the WHL this year at 16. Last year a number of the 2006 first rounders did not play in the WHL at 16.
Former Silvertips defenceman Tyler Kieffer has still not reported to Medicine Hat and is not on their roster on their website either. Officially the Tigers say Kieffer is in transit and will be reporting soon, but it has been a week since the trade now. Is something starting to smell funny here?
1 comment:
Alan, Mark Reners is apparently out right now with a broken wrist/hand so that may be why he's not on the roster. Heard he's out for a month or two. Guess maybe its possible that once he is back they would send him down to Jr. A or Midget to get him more playing time since he'll have missed quite a few WHL games.
Post a Comment