Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday notes

Couple things this morning...

Prince George has pared down their overage list for 2009-10 - the Cougars have released forwards Alex Poulter and Marcus Watson and defencemen Colin Scherger and Matt Cumming. All but Cumming were 19 this season and would have been overagers next year. The moves leave the Cougars with only four potential overagers for next year - forward Tyler Halliday, defencemen Cody Hobbs and Dallas Jackson, and goaltender Joe Caligiuri.

And the two western reps for the Telus Cup (the Canadian national AAA midget championship) are set after this past weekend. The Pacific region (British Columbia and Alberta) rep will be the Calgary Buffaloes, and the Western region (Saskatchewan and Manitoba) will be the Notre Dame Hounds. For the Buffaloes, it's a return performance as they were the Alberta midget league & Pacific region champs last year too. They finished 4th in last year's Telus Cup and 7 players from that team moved on into the WHL this season.

The Telus Cup starts April 20th in Selkirk, Manitoba. I'll crank out a list of WHL prospects on the Buffaloes and Hounds closer to the start of the tournament.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you didn't mention that the Silvertips fired Head Coach John Becanic last week. Probably got lost in the shuffle. The 'Tips have also decided on their 3 overagers for next season -- Shane Harper, Shayne Brown, and the captain Zack Dailey. Mike Alexander will be invited to camp with the idea of trading him before the overager deadline, and Jesse Burt will be released at some point.

-- Andy Head
Everett, WA

Anonymous said...

AS you know the Canadains think little of what happens to the US Division teams, unless they win the Memoiral Cup,
We only have one chance left. Go Tri-City!

Anonymous said...

I think there is at least a 50/50 chance the League will allow 4 overages next season. Maybe decrease the euros to 1 per team. I really hope that change takes place.

Alan said...

Hmmm....well, it's not quite as simple as the WHL deciding to use four overagers. It has to be approved by the OHL and QMJHL too because otherwise when the Memorial Cup rolls around, the WHL would have an advantage by having four O/A's while the other two leagues still had three. That would cause problems.

I think we'll probably see the leagues move to 4 O/A's at some point but I don't know if it will be as early as next year?

As for the guy who says I think little of the U.S. teams because I didn't mention Becanic getting fired.....it slipped my mind, OK. And I didn't think there was any point in mentioning it several days later because unless someone was reading the blog after emerging from a cave, they almost certainly has already heard about it elsewhere.

If it seems like there is less U.S. division mentions here than the Canadian teams, well, that probably has something to do with the quantity of media coverage the U.S. teams get compared to the Canadian ones. I can't mention things that aren't being reported in the first place.

Anonymous said...

And that there's three times as many Canadian teams in the WHL, so there's presumably three times as many things happening.