Couple notes, then, on the NHL playoffs....
First, some idiot Montreal fans booed The Star Spangled Banner last night before the Habs-Bruins game. This is a recurring theme in Montreal, isn't it....they do it every playoffs and nobody's laughing except the idiots doing it. The rest of the fans in the building are guilty by association because if they really had a problem with the booing, they'd drown it out by cheering, and they don't.
At least everyone else in the league will have the last laugh as the Habs become the first team eliminated from this year's playoffs when the Bruins sweep them and those classless fans out like the trash they are tomorrow night. In their 100th year anniversary season, too. It's perfect.
And, I see Sean Avery is back up to his usual stupid antics.....including punching goaltenders in the head. He put the Rangers shorthanded four times last night and it was hilarious watching John Tortorella doing a slow burn on the bench after each successively stupider penalty. Two things come to mind here; first, isn't Avery supposed to be on his best behaviour as part of the conditions of his reinstatement to the NHL? If so, I think he's falling off the sanity wagon again and the NHL needs to have a chat with him. Second, why does Tortorella keep dressing Avery and worse, keep putting him on the ice? It's obvious that Tortorella has no use for these kind of antics, so why not lay down the law by refusing to dress or play Avery until he cleans up his act again? I know Glen Sather likes Avery but if Sather has a problem with Tortorella picking his own game roster, then Sather can fire him and Tortorella can go back to TV while getting paid by the Rangers too for the next three years. Time to call Sather's bluff on this idiot.
5 comments:
The sad thing is that Avery is proving once more to a U.S. audience that Hockey is still a fringe sport. Forget Torts doing something; where are Colin Campbell and Topo Gigo? They should be all over Sather and the Rangers organization. Avery is a classless puke whose sole contribution to hockey is to reduce it to a cheap one liner on late night TV.
I was embarrassed by my countrymen for the classless display. Imagine for a moment if the shoe was on the other foot and it was the Canadian anthem being booed in Boston?
On a WHL related note, any plans to hilite the 2009 WHL bantam draft? Prospects? Team needs? The draft is just over a week away on Thursday April 30, and for those of us fans left without a team in the WHL playoffs it's a way to look forward.
I'll have some bantam draft stuff later this week, perhaps Thursday since that's one week from the draft.
Right now it'll probably just be the draft order and a rundown of a few of the top prospects. Doing something like team needs is difficult when drafting bantams because you don't see the kids in the lineup for two years and your needs may have changed in the meantime.
So, I suspect most teams don't specifically target team needs at the draft, but rather try to have a well-rounded draft that adds a few impact players at each position in every age group. The old "pick the best player available each time" strategy.
I know some Portland fans don't think their team needs a defenceman at #1 overall but the top three or four prospects in this draft are probably defencemen and I think the Hawks should take one....you can never have too many good defencemen. And if you DO end up with too many, there's always teams willing to trade good forwards for defencemen. Etc, etc.
Was I hearing something incorrectly when I heard booing during the Canadian national anthem before the Canucks/Blues game 3 in St. Louis? Or what were the fans saying there? It happens on both sides of the border and shouldn't be happening at all, very disrespectful.
Maybe they were chanting "Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuues"? :-)
I didn't see the anthems of the Canucks/Blues game last night so I can't say for myself. But if it DID happen, I would have to question whether it would have happened there had the Montreal morons not done it first.
Post a Comment