Friday, April 3, 2009

Second round predictions

My picks for the second round....

#1 Vancouver vs #4 Spokane:

Vancouver won both head to head meetings this year, and possesses slightly more depth than the Chiefs at forward and defence. They also have home ice advantage, which is valuable since they are 32-6 at home this year, 2nd-best in the league. For the Chiefs, they have the better goaltending and a lot of big-game playoff experience on that roster. These are the two best defensive teams in the league, allowing just 145 (Spokane) and 151 (Vancouver) goals this season. Offensively, Vancouver scored 75 more goals than the Chiefs did....that's a whole goal per game, so it's a significant gap there. Is better goaltending and a more battle-tested lineup enough for the Chiefs to overcome the superior talent of the Giants?

I'm not sold on that. Giants in six.


#2 Tri-City vs #3 Kelowna:

This is the hardest series to pick this round. The two teams were a mere 3 points apart in the standings and split their head-to-head meetings 2-2, with all four games won by the home team. If that means anything, it's an edge to the Americans since they have home ice in the series. But, Kelowna has been one of the hottest teams in the league down the stretch and I think they are superior to the Americans at forward and on defence. Goaltending is where the Americans definitely have an edge but overall I have to like the Rockets in this one.

All the games will be close, but Rockets in six.

#1 Calgary vs #7 Lethbridge:

Looking only at the standings, it's easy to say this is a mismatch since the Hitmen finished a whopping 47 points ahead of the Hurricanes this year. But you know, I'm sure some people thought the Blades were mismatched against the Hurricanes too, and where are the Blades now. Lethbridge is a team that never really put up results to match their talent this year; if they play up to their talent level in this series, it could get interesting. If they don't, it WILL be a mismatch and a quick exit for the Canes. Ultimately I think even a solid effort from the Hurricanes will not be enough though; Calgary is better and with more depth at all three positions, most significantly on the blueline. Plus the Hitmen have home ice, where they are a league-best 34-4 this year. Lethbridge cannot afford to lose a game in their own rink because I don't like their chances of winning TWO games in Calgary.

It won't be a blowout....but Calgary in six.

#3 Brandon vs #5 Medicine Hat:
I'm not a Tigers fan but I do really like the Tigers, they are a well-coached, entertaining team to watch most nights. But, with their smallish size (seven forwards who are 5'9" or less) and perhaps being a little light on depth after you get past their top guys, they're really not built for a tough playoff series. Their opponent here, Brandon, is one of the biggest teams in the league in addition to being able to boast better depth at every position than the Tigers. One factor the Tigers do have in their favour is the schedule, which has them hosting the first two games of the series before shifting to Brandon for three games. If the Tigers can win those first two games in their own rink, they could get some serious pressure on the Wheat Kings heading into games 3 to 5.

I just don't think the Tigers have enough to win this one. Wheat Kings in five.

2 comments:

Fratelli said...

boo hiss on the Ams/Rockets prediction! The Rockets only got as close as three points because they were so hot for the last month or so. Much like how the Chiefs went on their run (what was it...like 18-1) in dec/jan, hot streaks cool off - which is what i am hoping for this series. The Ams have been more consistant, which I hope pays off for the next month or so.

I respect Almond and the big Kelowna D guy, but I see the Ams winning in 6.

Fratelli said...

also...vancouver in 6 as well. not familiar enough with easter teams other than to know calgary it bad a$$ - hitmen in 5