Friday, January 9, 2009

Friday bits

Rockets prospect Mikael Backlund made his NHL debut last night for the Flames against the Islanders. He logged 10:44 of ice time playing on different lines with pretty much everyone on the team at some point.....missed getting his first goal when the puck hopped over his stick while facing a partially open net.

Overall he looked OK, not out of place. I still think he's headed for the Rockets today or tomorrow though. He only played for the Flames because Todd Bertuzzi has a sore back, so that's not a permanent roster spot he has there.

Only one other bit of news to report this morning; Andrew Walker is reporting that '89 forward Tyler Penny has left the Red Deer Rebels to return home to Saskatchewan and play Junior A. Penny has 11 points in 103 games as an 18 & 19 year old for the Rebels, so this probably isn't either a devastating loss nor a surprising one.

Oh, and how about this: coaches get fired all the time, but how many of them get fired in the middle of a game?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alan,
Regarding the firing in the middle of the game, I seem to remember a similar situation in the WHL/WCHL.

As I remember it, the Calgary Wranglers were playing the Lethbridge Broncos in the playoffs. I think a game was being played at Max Bell Arena as the Flames were in the playoffs and using the Coral.

The Broncos, lead by John Chapman, were beating (literally) the Wrnaglers. During the second intermission, either the owner or GM of the Wranglers fired the coach, perhaps Sheldon Ferguson.

Does this ring any bells with you?

PS. I really enjoy the info your provide.

Scott