Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tuesday notes

Interesting poll results here.....a new survey suggests that 54% of Canadians believe fighting should be eliminated from hockey. That number jumps to 62% in Quebec.....which is funny since Quebec is the home of the semi-pro LNAH which is nothing more than a retirement home for minor-pro goons.

Reading the numbers a little closer though, 68% of Canadians who say they follow the NHL closely believe fighting should NOT be eliminated. Which begs the question of why they even bothered to ask people who don't follow hockey what they thought. Who cares what non-fans think? Since the revelation that 68% of hockey fans like fighting falls into the "Well, Duh" category of news, their use of the 54% opposed number reads like a desperate cry to get this poll some attention.

To the WHL, one bit of news today. We'll find out tonight if Bo still knows hockey, as Bo Montgomery is slated to make his return to the WHL tonight with the Tigers. I guess he is finally back in game shape after sitting out the entire season to this point after leaving the Winter Hawks following last season. Medicine Hat acquired him at the trade deadline.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alan,

I am one of the 54%.

I love hockey. I am passionate about the game and I enjoy a good fight, but I am tired of the antics like we saw in last week's Lethbridge/Medicine Hat game. There's no place in hockey for this, yet it happens every year. As a fan of the game, aren't you growing tired of watching this including players like Beach and McCue?

I love playoff hockey because there is no fighting.

Would you stop watching hockey if fighting was eliminated?

It's time to do what is right for the game. The game needs it.

Paul

Anonymous said...

The day there is no fighting is the day I'm done with hockey, I'll move on to something else.